P-15 front seat belts

Bill Ford

I had to cut a hole in the back side of the pan above the shelf the seat sits on. I wanted the belts to pull in a straight line from the floor, over the rear edge of the bottom cushion and around my waist. After I cut the holes I lined them with a piece of small plastic hose that I split and worked around the opening so that there would be no raw sharp edges to damage the belts. My belts are barely covered by the footrest on the back of the front seat when the seat is in the full forward position.

My 41 Dodge is very much the same solid metal bottom/back..I bolted mine to the seat on one side and to the floor on the other side using the common bolt. This can limit your chair travel..as you do not want much whip per say should an accident happen and the seat anchors pull though the floor mounts/ I also considered cutting a slot and placing a smooth insert around the metal to protect against chaff..however the donor seat belts best suited the first approach....if they are long enough..this may be your better avenue of approach..

posted to another thread but I think bears repeating;

What ever you figure out DO NOT ATTACH the belts to the frame. You want to stay with the body and not the frame, as the seperation of body from the frame in a violent crash is a posibility. You do not want the body to pass around you while you re attached to the frame.

Juliano's rod shop sells belts and purpose made anchor reinforcements. They also have photo essay how to do its on several different old vehicles.

Here is a link to a picture album showing what I did. They have worked fine and held me in through a close call or two. :)

Hope I never have to find out how good they work in a crash.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/siufan6/seat%20belt%20install/

I was thinking all the time that pan had to be cut. Steve I appreciate the pictures. Would it weaken the seat if a three sided notch was cut out of the pan instead of a notch out of the pan? I am not at my car now so I am just guessing. Again I can not tell you guys how much I appreciate the forum, all the answers are here just waiting to be shared.