License plate restoration

JerryinTx

Someone was asking about Missouri and how many plates.

I have a pair of plates for my '42 Plymouth, setting one benchmark.

In the early '60's when I started driving they issued only 1.

For many years they've issued 2 again, couldn't tell you when it started again. Seems like I got 2 when I got back from Germany in '75, but I'm not certain.

I can tell you that there are a number of legislators right now who want to go back to 1 plate.They haven't been successful yet, and I don't recall any of them giving me a rational reason why they want to when we talked about it.

Strangely, if a truck in Mo. Is licensed 18,000 lbs or more, you only get one plate and it goes on the front. Causes me a lot of grief in other states, so much that I put mine on the back, and, although not legal, I get stopped less in Missouri with it wrong than I did in other states when I had it on the front, where it was correct.

Edited by austinsailor

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm cheap I thought I'd try it myself. First I bead blasted the plate, then painted the backround Silver color, then I painted the entire plate with clear gloss. Then came the green lettering with I did with a "Speedball" 2" wide roller, with I ordered from evil bay, I put a small amount of paint on a piece of glass and covered my roller with just a thin layer of paint so it would not run down the side of the letters. This made me do about five coats of green to cover the letters. After the green dryed I painted the entire plate with the gloss clear. It's not perfect but it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to do. It looks better in person than the photo shows.

408361879.jpg

I don't know how good these guy's are, but they might be worh checking out Licenseplates.tv

:D

There's a guy from Kansas City, MO who goes to swap meets with a bunch of plates.  He might have a late 40s tag.

The 49, 50, 51 used a small metal tag in the upper right corner to designate the year of the plate.  Those are hard

to find and pricey when found (like maybe $125).   Can't think of his name or business name right now.  Might have

his card somewhere.  

mTtaMzyih1If9DyLTM_EL3A.jpg

1947 Mo plate.................

$_57.JPG

Edited by BobT-47P15

There's a guy from Kansas City, MO who goes to swap meets with a bunch of plates.  He might have a late 40s tag.

The 49, 50, 51 used a small metal tag in the upper right corner to designate the year of the plate.  Those are hard

to find and pricey when found (like maybe $125).   Can't think of his name or business name right now.  Might have

his card somewhere.  

mTtaMzyih1If9DyLTM_EL3A.jpg

1947 Mo plate.................

$_57.JPG

BobT-47P15 I've seen alot of those small year tags as many states used them rather than issue a complete new plate. If you go on evil bay you can buy another states year tag and put it on your plate with some modification. I bought a year plate at the swap meet for $10.00 from Oregon that would work on a Washington plate I had, all I had to do was change the color and grind of one edge. Not Rocket science, and like I said I'm cheap.

:eek:  :rolleyes: