question about new batteries

=PlyPals=

Hi there!

Last 2 trips with my p15 ended up push-starting the car.

My battery was as dead as a turkey on thanksgiving, eventough I just made a "several miles" tour.

after checking the p15-d24-site (reference-section), I tought the optima 850cca would be the best option. (the car doesn't drive daily (neither weekly...))

Unfortunately, that battery is no longer available.

The battery that was used was a 600cca wet cell. The p15-d24-site recommends 685 cca or 785 cca...

Could there be any problems with stock voltage regulators if I try another 6v battery?

I'm not a complete noob... some parts are missing... :D but I appreciate some hints and tips!

Grtz,

Kurt

PS: also going to install a master switch! 'cause I think I have a leaking circuit somewhere... (still the original, but looking good, wires)

How does your ammeter read. Have you tried the test to temporarily jumper wire the field pos on the gen to ground doing so at a high idle should peg the ammeter to the postitive side if the genny is working correctly. If it doesn'y you might need to service the generator brushes. If it pegs then that indicated the Voltage regulator isn't working properly.

(snip)

after checking the p15-d24-site (reference-section), I tought the optima 850cca would be the best option. (the car doesn't drive daily (neither weekly...)) Unfortunately, that battery is no longer available.

(end snip)

Where are you located? If you are nearby, I've got a 6V Optima that I'll give you. It hasn't been used in a while, but was in excellent condition when I changed to 12V.

Marty

Greg G:

I did not check that... It is certainly worth to try. However, I'm pretty confident that it is a simple battery-problem. Anyhow, I'm going to check it!

Martybose:

Ouch... my bad! I live in Antwerp...Belgium... A couple of miles too far :)

But I appreciate the offer! Thanks!

grtz,

Kurt

Kurt ,

being from Belgium is no reason not to post pictures in the profile !

A master switch is a very good idea, after I installed it I had only one time that the battery needed recharging (as I didn't touch the car for months, my bad!).

I have mine installed under the dash so I don't have to open the hood at all.

John

John

Kurt ,

being from Belgium is no reason not to post pictures in the profile !

okay okay... consider it done :D

I tought that a member album in the photo gallery would be enough... ;)

But are there any toughts on what kind of battery I should take??

I don't want to get any electrical troubles by simply buying the wrong battery!

Cheers,

Kurt

Edited by =PlyPals=
grammar... forgive me... I'm Flemish :-D

I bought an Optima and have never had any problems. It seems to crank longer and harder but they are a little more expensive. I just ordered another one (pick it up Saturday) I think it was $150.

I also have a battery tender - I haven't really hooked it up yet because the weather is good and I try to go for a ride at least once a week.

We'll see how it does this winter.

Kurt, I believe there are 6 volt batteries with all sorts of cca numbers in cars of

forum members. They have been purchased at farm stores, chain stores,

independent battery shops......you name it. Many may not be quite as good as

the Optima......but most any will work if the car is in reasonable tune and repair.

I personally have a battery cutoff switch and think they are a good idea.

They come in several styles.

Next thing I plan to buy is a battery tender to keep the battery charged during the winter.

My switch is mounted in a hole that was already in my firewall due to a driver's

side heater which I removed. Or could be fastened under the dash like John said.

IM003972.jpg

kurt...i had some super thrills in Antwerp a few years back...we went to the area around the cathedral, it was the year denmark won the soccer championship!!! and we went to a 'motorcycle' bar there , lots of wild folks and rock music. my friend lives in BOOM. i shouild visit him again

!!!!

bill

Tomorrow I get my new 145Ah battery. This was the heaviest one I found here (at least, the heaviest one that fits my battery-tray).

Hopefully it will do its best for a long time :)

The ordered master switch is the one in the picture, without the fuse.

DCN.jpg

Claybill:

So you probably visited Kid's Rythem 'n Blues bar... :D

He lives in Boom? I did my Firefighters-training in Boom ;) It's not that far from Borsbeek.

When you visit him, let me know... Maybe we can cruise trough Antwerp with the P15?!

Grtz,

Kurt