Best Car you've ever owned

radioguy7

...then it would be my 57 Plymouth followed by my 47 Chevy followed by my 48 Ford. After that, my 2000 Nissan 4x4 Frontier, 1986 Honda Accord, 77 Volkswagen Vanagon, 74 Mercury Capri, 74 Volkswagen Bug, 87 Nissan King Cab, 96 Nissan Maxima, and lastly, our 79 Chevy Chevette which was a total pile of...... The 97 Mercedes has always been just my wife's alone so I'm not ranking it. Lately my favorite car hasn't been a car. It's my Harley lol...

My 73 Cuda. Was pale yellow/white vinyl top with a 318 auto when I bought it with a pretty rough white interior. Had minor rust in the quarters. So took it to a family friend's body shop for new quarters and primer. Then painted it a GM Black Cherry color in my dad's garage. Kohler's Upholstry another family friend in Joplin stitched up a new gray interior for it. Added Weld Wheels 3 inches in the front and 8 inches in the rear. Had a good friend at Reeves tire who worked with me to put as much tire as the rear fender wells would hold.

Bought my grandfather's Plymouth wagon for the 727 and 383 which I had bored 60. Bought all the Mopar Direct Connection catalog part recommendations for an 11 second car. Ran mid 12's on street tires at Mokan. Never got a chance to run it with slicks. Drove the car every day for about a year and a half until I got married and had my first kid on the way. Had to be more sensible so I sold it and bought a Toyota Corrola. :(

53 chevy belair two door black and white exterior and green interior (apparently it was all green at one time but someone painted the exterior black with the belair trim area white) I loved it. too bad I had to sell it. wish I can find it again and buy it, also loved my 64 vw ragtop. that thing was a chick magnet when I was 18! ! ! !:D

Because radioguy7 said "besides your P-15".

I'm an Equal Opertunity car nut. I have a Plymouth, a Chevy, a Ford, a GMC, a Kubota, & a Toyota.

Dennis:D

I'm not really partial to any one brand, but I do hate Ford's, unless you are talking pre 1940. Almost all of my classics tho are GM except for my P-15, it's only my second non GM classic I've owned and my Dodge Ram is my second Dodge truck.

my 1954 chrysler new yorker convertible. paid $75 for it and i had no place to leave it when i went into the navy. i now have a 1954 windsor convertible because the flathead is easy to work on. also had a 1951 buick special with the straight eight and i drove that cross country in 1973 and kept it till 1994. that car would go anywhere in any weather. as far as more modern cars they have all given me trouble that i could not fix, but my mechanic could for lots of money. i do like my 97 grand marquis, it is the second one i have owned and i will probably get another when i sell this one. capt den

By far the best car I ever owned was a 1954 Hudson Hornet. It had the 308 Hornet engine,factory dual carbs and 3 spd with overdrive. It run down the highway at 70 -80 mph with out even breaking a sweat. It was also a well put together car. I did get tired of the younger people asking if it was a chopped Merc. Just a great looking car. The last true Hudson. Then came the disastorous merger with Nash to form American motors.

I guess I'm with Dennis and if it can't be my P-15 it would be my '65 chevy truck. I've had it since I was 14 and 4 years after I got it I switched out the 6 banger for a 283. I have driven that truck all over the midwest and it has never left me stranded. It tried once when I had a fuel pump fail, but one of my friends had an electric once he loaned me to make it home. I was only about 40 miles from home at the time.

I've driven it to Springfield, MO once, Memphis, TN 8 times, Nashville, TN once, Evansville, IN several times, and Piggott, AR twice now. It's been a good truck.

65truckpics014.jpg

My best car was my one and only new model - a 1978 Dodge Monaco Brougham 2-door, with 35km on it when I opened the driver's door to look at it.

It was yellow with a gold vinyl roof, built on the 2nd shift, Friday, 26 May 1978, at the Lynch Road plant in Detroit. Powered by a 318 V8 with a 4-bbl carb mated to a Torqueflite with locking torque converter.

Owned it for almost five years and it never failed me. Outside of the usual maintenance items (tune-ups, oil, grease, brakes, tires) I drove it from Winnipeg to LosAngeles one year, Winnipeg to Boston the next and after moving to Edmonton, from Edmonton to Ottawa and one final trip to Los Angeles before selling it. A fantastic highway cruiser!

Presently have a 1985 Dodge 600 SE with turbo and as I bought it used, have no idea how many problems the first owner had. But for me it has been extremely reliable (touch wood) and is also a great car for cruising down the highway. And it's yellow, but was not built on a Friday!

Bill

Vancouver, BC

I'm not really partial to any one brand, but I do hate Ford's, unless you are talking pre 1940. Almost all of my classics tho are GM except for my P-15, it's only my second non GM classic I've owned and my Dodge Ram is my second Dodge truck.

You may hate Furds, and they are not my brand of choice, but they can be built darn tough. I posted this last week.

Yesterday morning my Wife calls on her way to work and says, there is steam or fog from under the hood. The vehicle 1994 Ford Ranger Truck, with a 3 litre engine, and 140000 miles

I immediately ask if she drove through a big section of road with melted snow, she says no, all is frozen this morning or dry.

I ask her how if the heat gauge is registering high, she says no, then tells me there is no more steam under hood.

I figure it was water or slush splashed up in there somehow.

On her way home from work she says, it was leaking a bit of anti-freeze, but the heat gauge was normal, unless she was idling at a stop light, then it would rise.

I now know, the coolant level is dropped, but allow here to drive home, as it is a cold day, and the engine is not overheating.

Sure enough, 1 heater hose had split a hole in it.

I go get more heater hose, and 2 gallons of pre-mix,(first time I ever bought this), and proceed to repair the problem, go the hoses swapped in about 2 minutes, no need to drain system down,. it was drained enough. I had to add a gallon and a half to bring this cooling system back to level.

Now what a tough little truck, she drove a 100 miles like this, it could have been worse, but there was enough coolant in the system, and the hole in the heater hose, did not allow the system to pressurize I guess, and the rest of the antifreeze was only very slowly leaking.

I did not tell wife I repaired this hose last summer, but only cut-off the bad end section, this I will never do again, as heater hose is only a $1.25 a foot here......Fred

My Wife bough this truck in late 1998 for $8000, it had 40 miles on it at the time. The only thing in 10 years to be replaced are , shocks, tires , front pads, rotors,battery, solenoid switch,brake light switch, u-joints, 1 tie rod end. the usual oil and grease.

I need to do the ball joints now and replace the back shocks again.

So not a bad service record, here in a part of Canada with extremly cold winters, hot summers, and lots of gravel road driving and city streets with pot holes.......

Rockwood,

Well, it does sound like a tough little turd, ( refer to most furds as turds :) ) but! I once had a 1986 Chrylser lebaron that one time after working on it in my borthers garage in January I accidentally disconnected the wire for the electric fan. I drove the car this way until March when I noticed the engine light come on. I looked under the hood and found the disconnected wire and reconnected it!!

As I recall now that was another favorite car I've owned. it was a turbo version and man that thing would hum along on the highway with no effort at all. Off the line it had tons of torque steer if you got on it. Also a very comfotable car on a long trip as well.