Fuel tank sending unit

Outside diameter of outer twist ring is 3 - 5/8"

Inside diameter of outer twist ring is 2 - 3/4"

Thickness of outer ring is 25/1000"

Aperture size of tank opening from which sending unit sits is 1 - 1/2"

Jim

Hi Paul,

My tank is out now to be cleaned while I paiht the cab. It found nearly a shovel full of sand and grit inside when I dumped it. Now it is wrapped up in plastic, riding around in my van with me everywhere I go. Inside is a gallon of soapy water and half a dozen large nuts and bolts to help clean it up. Local readiator shop gets $100 for strapping a tank on top of an old cement mixser to polish up the insides.

Have you found a source for sending units? My own had the entire float arm rusted in two - found the fload buried in the muck and junk on the bottom. Guess I may need a new one, too. I found a used one under my seat, but don't believe it is any good. Let me know if you find a source for these.

Thanks,

I also believe that JC Whitney has a generic unit that will fit. Someone on here should know the ohm range that is needed so that you get the correct one. mike

I also believe that JC Whitney has a generic unit that will fit. Someone on here should know the ohm range that is needed so that you get the correct one. mike

Bob Amos wrote an article on this in our region newsletter and gave me permission to republish it on my web site:

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/fuelsender.html

However it is only for the single wire unit (1949? and up). If you have a 1936? through 48 two wire thermostatic type fuel gauge then this will not work for you.