Gaskets

John Mulders

I am sure I will soon need gaskets for something.

I have oil leaks (pan) and probably will need a seal (rear end).

As I am not in the US does anyone have a good idea on gasket sets?

Are these available or should I just try to find a good source and order away (hope not)?

Would be great if I have a gasket or seal ready in case of a leak or when I just take something off!

Is there a list of gaskets that are standard and how can I tell what head gasket I would need (as I have seen a couple of pics where there were special holes in the gasket).

Sorry for so many questions !

As I have a friend coming over in February I could have the gaskets send to him and he could bring them along.

John

I had to replace my oil pan so of course I needed a new gasket. It was a few bucks from napa. Wouldn't be too surprised if they have the rear end seal too.

Ed

Guest Nile Limbaugh

I've been able to get a lot of parts from a local house since the engines went up through 1959. There are minor differences in gaskets from early to late, but then I've been working on a 37. I think by the time 1946 came around most of the gaskets were the same until the end.

Seems like there was a point where the front bypass configuration made a change in the front center of the head and gasket, sort of a bump on front. Perhaps one additional coolant hole? The head gasket is a bit different for that one. Here's a later (53) head and block. You can see the bulge at the front of the head.

By the way, the pic shows how a 1953 internal bypass water pump plumbs to the block.

post-64-13585344690014_thumb.jpg

Terrell Machine in DeLeon, Texas can provide you with all of your gaskets. He runs an ad in Hemmings every month, look in the Chrysler section which is just after "services offered" and you will see a long one column add. His phone number is 254-893-2601 and the complete rebuild gasket set is $65.00. He ships UPS within one day of order. Rear main seal is sold separately and is $15.00