Brake pedal bushing

Joe Flanagan

I am replacing my bushings in brake and clutch pedals, fluid drive, 3/4" shaft (also replacing). Picture shows the bushing before punching out. Same holes as yours for transfer of grease. Unless you can find NOS parts, the most comparable replacement I've found are 'Oilite bushings' which are pre-saturated. I couldn't find right length so we punched in two and cut off excess. Drilled hole for zerk for additional lube. Good luck.

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Compressedforemail.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Thanks Jim. I'm going to call around today and see if I can find that type of bushing. Seems a place like Vintage Power Wagons might have something like that. Also, I recall the same kind of setup when I rebuilt my kingpin assemblies. I don't remember seeing small holes in those bushings but I think they came with the rebuild kit. Maybe they were Oilite.

Jim, was that just some standard bushing stock from a local bearing house? Any Brand name or part #'s?

Merle

I am replacing my bushings in brake and clutch pedals, fluid drive, 3/4" shaft (also replacing). Picture shows the bushing before punching out. Same holes as yours for transfer of grease. Unless you can find NOS parts, the most comparable replacement I've found are 'Oilite bushings' which are pre-saturated. I couldn't find right length so we punched in two and cut off excess. Drilled hole for zerk for additional lube. Good luck.

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Compressedforemail.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

I took in the pedal and shaft to the bearing supplier. They matched the best they could with a standard bushing. The part number is on the receipt posted earlier. They cost $0.56 each. Inside Diameter is exactly 3/4" However, because of the thickness of the bushing, the OD is slightly larger than the original bushing. The machine shop is boring the pedals to make the OD of the new bushings fit. However, if Roberts makes the exact replacement bushing, I may call the shop and hold off. I would rather make it a full length bushing even though I don't believe it will ever get much wear with the limited driving I plan to do.

I called VPN in my quest and they said the bushing for the PW pedals would not work. If you find out differently, let us know.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to call around today and see if I can find that type of bushing. Seems a place like Vintage Power Wagons might have something like that. Also, I recall the same kind of setup when I rebuilt my kingpin assemblies. I don't remember seeing small holes in those bushings but I think they came with the rebuild kit. Maybe they were Oilite.

I called Roberts and Kanter today and neither place has that bushing. Also called ESPO/Springs n' Things. McMaster Carr does have Oilite bushings and thousands of other kinds of bushings. Check out their website. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have a match. I'll let everyone know. I think they're a good source for this hobby.

Here is a link to McMaster-Carr, which looks like it would be a good source for our hobby. There is an entire section on bushings.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

The only problem is, like Jim says, the outside diameter of their 3/4" bushing is just a hair too large. My brake pedal takes a bushing with an outside diameter of 13/16. The closest they have is 7/8. Also, they don't seem to have the bushing with the small holes on the inside surface but they do have one with spiral grooves on the inside, which may serve the same purpose. I will be calling them today.