Pilothouse ID ?

Chuck U&R

After looking over pics of the different models and years I'm a little confused.

(no big deal - happens all the time)

The plate I took off the truck says B-3-116 but the truck measures 108" center of front axle to center of rear axle.

Is there somewhere I can search the serial number ?

Here is a picture of the truck I have.

Hard to tell without the trim.

P4070001.jpg

Clean up the left frame rail just ahead of the front axle. You should be able to find your serial number there. I borrowed this pic from the DPETCA site for reference.

front_frame.jpg

Then once you have the correct S/N go to http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php to decode it.

A B-3 would be a '51 or '52 model but there should be another letter after that. "B", "C", "D", etc. "B" indicates 1/2 ton, "C" = 3/4 ton, and "D" = 1 ton. And "116" would be the wheel base in inches, which would usually indicate a 3/4 ton, except in the later Pilot-House years the 1/2 ton's were available in 116" wheel base. However, you seem to have a discrepency. It's possible that someone swapped the cabs, tag and all, at one time.

I don't know of any other places. That's the aproximate location where I found mine too. That's not my truck, nor my picture. As I said, I borrowed it from the DPETCA site. http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

I recall that Don Bunn mentioned another location for the serial number in his book, but I'd have to read through it again to find it, and I don't have it handy.

This is a very handy book to have if your working on a B Series Dodge truck.

Book.jpg

I have two B3B's and one B3C parts trucks. All have the serial number stamped on front frame as shown in this stream as well as behind the rear tire on frame. Light sanding with steel wool or emory paper will remove paint and light rust. Good luck. Someone must have switched your VIN plate.