Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Trust your instincts

oldodge41

Out for a nice cruise this evening. Looked at the gas gauge, 1/2 tank. Good to go. Felt like it should be time to fuel up, but I like to run down to 1/4 before topping off. About 25 miles from home she sputtered and lurched. I was on a small town main street at about 15 mph. I pulled the choke, turned on the electric fuel pump and she re-fired and got me to the top of a small rise where I then coasted to a safe spot near a Dollar General store. I pulled the air cleaner and the glass bowl on the carb was all but empty. I turned the key on to restart the electric pump and got a small shot of fuel. Started it and it ran a few seconds and quit. Gauge still showed 1/2 tank. I took the fuel cap off, shook the car and listened, nothing. I walked into the DG store and asked if they had gas cans, he said he didn't think so but they would be in row 11 if they did. They did have one 2 gallon can. I bought it and the cashier asked if I had a problem, so I told him what was happening and that I didn't believe the gauge. He went on a rant about these new cars and how complex they are. I told him it was a 1941 and he kept apologizing for his rant. The guy behind me in line offered a ride to the gas station and back, but I declined as it was only a block. They both walked out to get a look at the car though. I brought two gallons of gas back, was offered yet another ride on my way back, and put it in. Ran the electric pump for a few seconds and fired it right up. Drove to the gas station and put another 3 gallons in to get home. Still reads 1/2 full. I swear it ran better with the air cleaner off on the way home. Maybe just the sound, but it felt quicker to respond to gas pedal inputs. Bottom line, trust your instincts, I felt it should need gas, but I went with the gauge. Next thing, pull the sender and test it. My guess is that it's stuck. Might try smacking it before I pull it. But even if that frees it a removal and inspection is in order.

• Like 1

My dad did our vacation travel mostly at night, when the traffic was very light and there was no sun flickering through a row of roadside trees.  (But no gas stations were open.)   Once, he did run out of gas, but within walking distance of a gas station.

We had an enameled steel potty or two in the car, for small children's imminent needs.  My dad took one to the station and returned with it filled with gas, enough to get the car to the station.  Luckily, the gas pumps were still turned on, so he filled up the car.  He slipped the $1.40 under the door and drove off into the night.  

• Like 2

Come on, guys, running out of gas with your classic is a standard epic fail. We've all done that; some of us more than once 😅

Check your fuel gauge, once in a lifetime, will ya? When I got my 1940, the tank was showing 3/4 full. I drove the car, for quite a while, and it was still 3/4... That's when I figured that something ain't right. And, what do you know, it stalled on me in my own driveway. Turned out, the gauge was connected incorrectly. The PO told me that he was selling the car because he did not use it much, and I guess he was not lying if he did not even notice that the gauge was messed-up. 🤭

Edited by Ivan_B