1949 Plymouth throttle linkage removal

Cooper40

Hi,

I'm taking out my floor pan access panel and I want to know what I have to disconnect with the throttle linkage to remove the floor pan. I took took pictures from underneath the car. The yellow oval in the first one is where the gas pedal is. The second pic is where the linkage meets another part (right under the steering column) that goes to the carburetor I think. 

I'm thinking I need to disconnect it somewhere on that second picture? But I don't know.

Anyone who has the same car know what to do?

20240531_094826.png

20240531_095229.jpg

From here, it looks like the first photo is where you disconnect. If that's not enough, then disconnect the second.  

If you are disconnecting more than one connection, I suggest you mark which ends connect connect to what. A dab with a paint pen on each component fr'instance.

I'm not familiar with the later version of the '49, mine is a '48 which is the same as the early '49's. On my car the throttle linkage unsnaps from the pedal and it isn't necessary to take apart any of the linkage. Take a close look at the back (floor pan side) of the pedal to see if there is a ball on the linkage that snaps into a socket on the pedal. If so, give the pedal a firm pull to unsnap it from the linkage which can then be pulled through the floor pan.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cooper40 said:

@Sam Buchanan Ok I will look underneath the pedal and see if there is linkage I can unsnap. I don't know when my '49 was made but maybe it's the same as your '48. 

If it looks like this it is early '49. If not, it is later version.

image.jpeg.1a424135922e30826b279f7317247d86.jpeg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

#1 hire a Young contortionist

Have a cold drink while they hurt themselves trying to undo the spring type throttle clips . they have been there for years and get rusted in place..

They are the worst designed parts on any Mopar that I have touched. mostly because of the almost impossible location to get body parts to move in.

Which of the two clips to remove?  I have forgotten as most people will forget the extreme torment of trying experiences .

I just hope you are younger and more flexible than I was at the time.

Makes me want to go get a beer or two just thinking of it!!

I will send prayers your direction and wishes of good luck..

🤐

DJ

Got the pedals out. The gas pedal wasn't that bad to get out. Just had to remove one clip underneath the floor. Got almost all of the screws out of the access panel. The floor is rough so a lot of them were rusted and hard to get out. A couple were almost non existent. Funny enough, some previous owner put a patch panel on part of the floor. I have to get that off as well and those flathead screws are proving even harder to get out than the original phillips head screws haha! 

All of this was to get at a transmission bolt and I was actually able to get it underneath the car with a bunch of extensions so I don't need to take the floor out after all.