whiper motor drama

GTfastbacker
Go to solution Solved by JBNeal,

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about DC motors (windshield wipers)?

I have the following problem with the 41 Dodge. This has probably been going on for a long time, because there are a few indications that point to it:

The engine wasn't running. No matter where I connected power.
It is a two-speed wiper.

So I dismantled the motor, cleaned it, reworked and cleared the collector, dismantled the limit switch, repaired it and rewired everything.

The first problem is that the motor appears to have been thrown together from its predecessor, because the play in the rotor is below zero tolerance, which means that when I tighten the long screws on the bottom where the brushes are and go through the winding housing, the rotor is tight. But that is solvable.

The motor turns again when I apply 6V to the case and brown wire (Foro) On red it turns very slowly but without any torque.

If I now connect the cables to the switch like I removed the wiring , nothing happens.
This was probably wrong before.

What confuses me is that the field winding has two inputs.

I can't explain this strange block with the two connections either. Could be a resistance but I couldn't measure anything?

Unfortunately the circuit diagram doesn't provide any information either.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thank you
Joe

3F1DA666-DC6F-4405-920A-F491A7E4BE31.jpeg

5E784AF9-032B-4083-A696-384CD3BEFF57.jpeg

• Solution

I did some work on the Autolite EWH-4001 wiper motor awhile back, but had to put that on the backburner until I had some spare time to put together a complete article.  In the meantime, I dug up my notes to see if there were any revelations that could be helpful.

This wiper motor is considered a shunt DC motor, read up on that topic on the internets for some fancy splainin as to what is going on there, it's interesting material.

The shop manual schematic only shows the wiring from the wiper motor assembly to the wiper switch.  I sketched up what the wiper motor assembly wiring looks like; this may or may not help with diagnosing problems.

sm20230906_060631.jpg.4ef8c15d5773da1e5df2483bf098b7bc.jpg

The wiper switch itself has a 8-amp circuit breaker, that's the contact contraption on the back side of the switch.  I had a switch with very dirty circuit breaker contacts, so I cleaned them like breaker points on a voltage regulator, and that helped, but not entirely, so I switched to another similar switch that was in better shape and that kinda fixed some functionality problems with the 1st wiper motor I was rejuvenating.  That's about where my work needs to pick back up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I did some work on the Autolite EWH-4001 wiper motor awhile back, but had to put that on the backburner until I had some spare time to put together a complete article.  In the meantime, I dug up my notes to see if there were any revelations that could be helpful.

This wiper motor is considered a shunt DC motor, read up on that topic on the internets for some fancy splainin as to what is going on there, it's interesting material.

The shop manual schematic only shows the wiring from the wiper motor assembly to the wiper switch.  I sketched up what the wiper motor assembly wiring looks like; this may or may not help with diagnosing problems.

The wiper switch itself has a 8-amp circuit breaker, that's the contact contraption on the back side of the switch.  I had a switch with very dirty circuit breaker contacts, so I cleaned them like breaker points on a voltage regulator, and that helped, but not entirely, so I switched to another similar switch that was in better shape and that kinda fixed some functionality problems with the 1st wiper motor I was rejuvenating.  That's about where my work needs to pick back up.

Great. Thank you?!

The Characters on your schematics help me a lot.

Do you know where to get new brushes?

Thank you again 

Joe

13 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I fit it rebuild. Thank you again for your schematics. 

Joe