1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe Master Cylinder

Rob Savicki

I am in the process of replacing all four brakes shoes in my 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe. How do I access the master cylinder to see and fill it with brake fluid. It is mounted behind the driver side tire. Can I access this through the floor panel on the drivers side? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

under the floorboard at driver feet is a bolt on access panel.

DJ

I have the same master cylinder in my 39 Desoto. One suggestion is take the top off the MC and reerse it so that the filler hole is visible when looking in the engine compartment. The fill hole bolt should be at the front so you can fill it and also look into see if it needs brake fluid. Also make sure that the hole in the cap on the side is open.

I did this so I do not have to remove the floor mat and it makes it easier to maintenance the MC.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I access the master cylinder on my '41 from under the hood.  According to my service manual, the level in the resevoir should be 1/2" from the top when you take the plug out - no less, no more.  I've overfilled it in the past and fluid will leak out the cap's air holes.  Make a simple L-shaped dipstick that extends 1/2" down...

Another great tip:  if you store the vehicle for the Winter, put chewing gum over the holes in the resevoir plug.  It will prevent moisture from entering the system.  In the Spring the gum will be hard as a rock and peel off easily...