Plymouth Transmission help - Year made/Gear Clusted needed

rrunnertexas

I pulled the 3 speed manual transmission out of my 1935 Plymouth PJ.  I have it pulled apart now and see there is a tooth missing in the custer gear, so I need a replacement.  Looking on that auction site, I see these gears are specific to model year.

Can anyone confirm that the transmission I have is from 1935 and which cluster gear I need?

The numbers on the side of the case of the transmission are 3 - 13 and 631841-2.  The only number I could see on the cluster gear is 6135 (hard to read).

52617683807_12919bd546_b.jpg

52618682553_69ed27c7b1_c.jpg

52617683757_88a2b79d67_c.jpg

Years back, maybe 10 or so, I had luck getting a cluster gear for my '49 B1B truck from Northwest Transmission Parts, Winchester, Ohio.  Easy to work with and reasonable.  I was able to "trade in" my old part towards the replacement.

According to my Hollander Exchange book the 1935 Plym PJ has the same transmission unit as the 36, 37 and 38 Plymouth cars. (not same park brake extension though)

I happen to have a 1938 parts book here, so I can tell you that the cluster gear is Mopar part # 661302. Same used in P5, P6, D8, D9.

See options on Ebay. I like the rusty one. Clean it up and it'll be like new!

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 6.51.05 PM.png

Edited by keithb7

Looks like a 35-37 park brake assy to me. The tranny looks right for a '35 also.  Although I don't have access to the transmission housing casting numbers to prove it.

I think you're probably on the right track for a 1935 stock tranny.

I think the important thing here is getting the right part, I would remove the gear and find the part number most likely on the front of the gear. You could  call one of those people who have the gear and ask them where the part number is. That missing gear tooth looks like it was missing for a while so you will need to check the other gear for damage. 

God Bless

Thank you so much for all the information and help.  

After cleaning up the case this morning, I found this letting punched into the back of the machined area of the case.  PJ = 1935 Plymouth!  So, the transmission is the original and the parts purchasing has begun for a 1935 model transmission.

Bob - checking the other gear for damage, I see it is well worn, but not broken.  I found a new one on the auction site, so maybe next week it will be here.

20230110_125612.jpg

• Like 1