Generator ID

Doug&Deb

I’m normally on the car side of the forum but you folks may be able to help with this. I bought an engine from a 51 Coronet but according to the L230 prefix it’s actually from a 58 truck. My problem is identifying the generator I have. The tag is damaged and I can’t completely read the number. It’s either G or D then I can’t tell then C7012A. I’m wondering if it’s the 12 volt generator from the truck. My Coronet has a GGW6001K for 6 volt positive ground. I’m thinking of having it rebuilt but not if it won’t work. I don’t know if the car it came out of had been converted to 12 volt. Thanks in advance.

One of the generally easier ways to tell, is the tag red or green?  Red is generally 6 volt while green is 12 volt.  A quick check did not bring up anything for a GC-7012a, BUT brought up a GJC-7012a as a 12 volt generator from 1956 and later.