Clutch disk difference

mellie

Hello

First time posting but have been reading a pile of useful  info from knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Just in the process of swapping out a seized D42 from a 1940 Dodge Deluxe with what I thought was a running D2 but thanks to Eric Bannerman, was identified as a 1942ish block restamped at one time for a 1936 car. To make things more confusing, during some rebuild, they swapped in what must have been a 218 crank and rods as the stroke is only 4-3/8". My dreams of a 230 have been dashed until I rebuild the other one. The fellow I got it from swears its the original engine from a 1946 truck. Go figure.

Anyway, as I have 2 flywheel clutch assemblies, I was just curious as to why one disc has a lot more meat on it than the other - would it be from a truck? I imagine OK to use in the car?

Thanks

Neil

Clutch disks.jpg

Welcome to the forum mellie, the lower clutch plate has some high spot wear at a few points. I would have your flywheel resurfaced and use the upper clutch disc in your pictures. I wouldn’t compromise a clean flywheel with that lower clutch plate. There is nothing wrong with having a 218. I have a 49 first edition coupe with 3.9 to1 rear gears that does fine with a 218. 

I see that you are in BC, a Canadian 1946 truck 1/2 ton would be a 218. Car clutch would probably be 9.25" and a truck would probably be 10".

Edited by 1949 Wraith

9 foot box - interesting -  missed that but I see what you mean on the high spots - probably result in chattering when engaging? I did notice when disassembling that the clutch disk was facing the wrong way but not sure if this would have any bearing. Could clutch disk be resurfaced to knock off high points?

1949 Wraith - yes southern BC but  both engines are  23" and car came from US at some point. Both clutch disks are 10" as well. I see that now on the engine page that both the 23" and 25" truck came in 218 and 230 at that time. Hmmm could be onto something. Thanks