Kelsey Hayes wheels

Alexander

Does anyone know if Kelsey Hayes wire wheels were a Factory or Dealer option for the 1951 Dodge Coronet convertible? I like the way they look on the 51 coronet convert and was thinking of getting them.

How correct was this option for that time period?

Thank you,

Alex

post-188-13585346056601_thumb.jpg

Hi Alex. Wire wheels were first offered on the 53 models. Most appeared chrome plated,but could be ordered painted,as regular wheels were. They were availiable for all Chrysler cars and were made by Motor Wheel----NOT Kelsey Hayes. The smaller wheel fit Ply. and Dodge,next larger for Chrysler Windsor and De Soto,and The largest for New Yorkers and Imperials. The hubcaps for those were often lost or badly pitted and have been reproduced . Kelsey Hayes were probably more availiable and would work fine. If you find good originals--be prepared to pay a LOT. The Chrysler 300 guys go crazy for them. Be careful that you get the right bolt pattern if you buy them on Ebay,or some other remote place. hope this helps.

Alex, Frank is correct about the wire wheels. The ones on the car in the picture appear to be the "edge laced" or "lip laced" style where the spokes come clear out to the edge of the rim. The other style used was called "center laced" and the spokes were set back into the rim farther.

The ones I have are the center laced sort......

100_5249.jpg

Mine came off a 1955 Chrysler New Yorker Saratoga hardtop which I bought complete, then removed the wheels. The bolt pattern is fine....no problems.

I am always looking for these wheels, and seldom find any around here. I bought one edge laced one a couple years ago at a swap meet....just missed a pair of better ones from the same seller. But, close only counts in horse shoes. I was told that the edge laced type were used on station wagons back in the 50s, but have seen them on other body styles since.

These wheels are currently available as a brand new reproduction item at a cost of around $1650 per set.....including center caps. Made in USA.

d5_12.JPG

Link to ebay ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-52-53-54-55-1956-60-61-Chrysler-MOPAR-Wire-Wheels_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34209QQihZ010QQitemZ200143809372QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hi Bob. The edge laced ones were actually for Dodge and Plymouth. Reason was the difference in wheel width,as larger tires used a wider rim. Ply. using 6.70x15s and Dodge with 7.10x15s were supposed to use the "edge laced". The Chry. 6 and the De Soto used the "center lace "for their 7.60x15s. The New Yorker and the Imperial also used that wheel ,BUT with a larger bolt pattern. So---thats where the three diff. types of wheels came from. Considering that you could order the "edge lace " in paint instead of chrome--that made quite a few selections possible from the dealerships. I dont believe any of the "center lace" wheels were availiable in other than chrome. At least I ve never seen any. Watch now----someone will come up with some. Following up on these old cars is a never ending education,but I love it

i have an original set i bought this year that are in fair condition, i just have not figured out how to polish up the wires. what will get in there and clean them up?anybody have a good suggestion? i want to put them on my 54 windsor convertible, and since i need new tires now is the time to switch over to the wires. dennis

Great information!

So i guess putting them on a 51 coronet will not be exactly correct. But i think I will still do it if i can get them for a good price.

$1700 is way to much.

Thank you!

Alex

Correct or not, if you like them then you should go for them. After all, they are just wheels and tires. If you're going to an original judging contest, just switch back to the original wheels.

Ed,

I know he's balking at the price, and I don't blame him. However, he may be able to get them a lot cheaper at some swap meet. I saw a set a few years ago for about $200 at a local swap meet. They were Ford wheels, but Ford wheels should fit too. He may not find them that cheap, but he may come up with a set for around $500. In the end though, if he really likes them he should go for them to make the car the way he really wants it.

This spring my son found a different type of wheel for his 80 Firebird. By the time he had them restored I think he spent about $1,000 for them, not counting the new tires, that he really didn't need either. Would I spend that, no. But....again I just like the plain steel wheels with the hubcaps. We have to do what makes us happy. Once you are finished with restoring the car/truck, then you have that extra money to add the goodies like his wire wheels.

Wellll, Frank. I had a set of painted wire wheels back in the 70s, which I'm pretty sure were "edge laced"......ran them on my 47 Plymouth coupe owned at the time. When I bought them, the seller said he thought they came off a Studebaker, but have never seen them on a Stude that I can recall. But I have seen painted ones on a 54 Dodge.