Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Stalls - Well that ends well

DonaldSmith

The other day I took my DeSoto for a short drive.  The car stalled repeatedly, but restarted right away, only to stall soon after.  I got onto 12 Mile Road but stalled dead in the right turn lane to Woodward.  

A young woman helped me push the car around the corner and into a parking lot.  I thought she was very strong, until I saw a young man pushing the back of the car.   I thanked them.

What could be wrong? That electronic ignition that I put in?   Quick!  Pumping the gas seemed to try to keep the car running, but all my diagnostic skills vanished in a panic.  I called for a flatbed to get home.   Always good to get home.

Fuel starvation!  Something wrong in the internals of the $300 rebuilt carburetor?  A piece of dirt lodged somewhere, despite multiple filters?  Mechanical fuel pump toast?  And the electrical pump too? 

The old fuel delivery test, hose and jar on the fuel line, showed no gas, despite the electric fuel pump. 

Honey, are you out of gas?  How could I be?   The gauge reads full, very full.  So I dangled a rope into the tank to verify the fuel level.  Dry!  Oh, for the hellovit, pour some gas in the tank.  

Pulse, pulse, pulse the electric pump.  Wait, what's that yellow fluid in the aforementioned hose and jar?   I added a few gallons and the car started and continued to run.  The few gallons got me to the station for a fill-up. 

The gauge, which had shown full, now read empty.  Didn't I notice, since topping off the tank last year, that the gauge read more and more full over time? 

I switched the wires from the sender, and now the gauge reads right.  All's well that ends well.