Stickering green lumber

Todd B

I like to use Hemlock lumber on my out buildings because you never have to stain it and it will eventually weather and give me the look I love (OLD), plus it will last forever and then some.  I built my semi shed out of Hemlock and now I am building a shed reclaiming my MAZE towers to house my camper and lawnmowers.  I install it right off the mill when it is wet and it is easy to nail and when it dries it shrinks and gives me that look of an old barn that I like. The question I have is I have enough to do another building that I am running out of time to build so I need to sticker it so it don't mold.  "BUT", I hate the sticker marks left behind.  Any suggestions?? 

Well, I know what you're talking about, anyway!  :)

We couldn't get kiln-dried wood in Brazil, so we always had to sticker it.  The worst I ever had was a load of Brazil nut wood.  I had ordered "any good hard wood that won't warp of shrink a lot", and they gave me the variety that warps the most, and also shrinks the most.  Harvesting Brazil Nut wood was prohibited at that time, so the bill of leyding named a different species.  I was stuck with it, and it was very wet.  I stickered it every few feet for a few days, and then started running it through the planer.  Once it was planed I moved the sticks down to about every foot, making them as narrow as I could.  After I planed & stacked the last board, I piled a bunch of other hardwoods on top of it, and left it.  I had no idea what I'd ever use it for.  (I had ordered some more wood in the mean time, this time, if I remember correctly, supervising the loading, so they wouldn't do it to me again.)  I ended up leaving it there for maybe around 3 or 4 years.  By then it was totally dry, and the original 12" width was down to around 10" on most of the boards.  But it was straight.  All that weight & time had not allowed it to warp, and I ended up using it for siding on a house addition.

So making the stickers as narrow as possible would be my only suggestion to avoid the marking issue.  Maybe powerwashing before stickering it would remove enough of the sap from the surface that it might show less, but the end color might not be the same, either.

Edited by Eneto-55

OK, I had to look up "stickering" on line. 

"It's ... piling wood in stacks with sticks between them to allow better air flow while also maintaining an even pressure throughout the pieces to limit cupping or warping that occurs during the drying process."

So, the sticks would leave the wood surface a different color, patina, etc, than the exposed wood.   We're not talking about the product code stickers stapled to the ends of the wood pieces at the big box store.  

We learn something new every day.  

I have decided to go to plan B.  Instead of going with board and batten on my next building I am going to air dry it and mill the boards into lap siding.  Then I can get rid of sticker marks. Plus I think it will look better on my grandkids playhouse with lap siding.