Parts valuation question

Sharps40
Go to solution Solved by Sharps40,

Not a for sale thread.

Asking a question, seeking opinions.  (I have been totally outside of the MOPAR restoration/parts acquisition area for over 23 years and have no real idea what fair values look like these days)

We are reworking a 1937 Dodge D5 4 Door Touring Sedan.  (This is the early 37 model as identified by the knob pull dash switches as opposed to the drawer pull dash switches)

It is highly likely the original suspension will be removed and replaced with a modern set up.

IF I decide to sell the original components, what might be fair valuations (not considering shipping as that varies too much) as follows:

1.  Front Axle and spindles, with NOS kingpins (kingpins replaced 25 years ago, under 2500 total miles on the king pins)

2.  Original sway bar

3.  Steering column and box, pitman/draglink, functional original, not rebuilt

4.  Steering cross bar with NOS tie rod ends (rebuilt 25 years ago, under 2500 total miles on tie rod ends)

5.  NOS Front and rear springs and shackels (replaced 25 years ago, under 2500 total miles on springs and shackels)

6.  4 original high mileage (about 100000 or so) brake drums

7.  Front/Rear brake hardware/cylinders

8.  Original rebuilt 3 speed trans with ebrake drum (rebuilt 24 +/- years ago, under 1000 total miles on it)

9.  Ford drive shaft updated with modern u joints which fit the original 1937 Dodge trans and rear end pinion

10.  1937 Dodge rear axle with differential, 4.1 ratio, original high mileage, say 100000ish miles

Edited by Sharps40

• Solution

Well, word I'm getting from several other forums is the suspension parts will not likely be worth the hassle to move 500 miles from the shop to here and then advertise and over the road ship such large/heavy items.  We'll have to make a call later but 9c/lb for scrap iron is the final option if we decide to pull and replace with more modern components.  Thanks all.

And I thought this "hobby", "lifestyle", etc was about helping others out. I can understand scraping parts that are a dime a dozen, but with these older cars, we need to salvage good useable parts. in the end, it's your decision.....me personally, if someone is willing to pay the shipping, it's theirs. If it takes me a little work to help someone out, i'm just happy to help. I hope you don't scrap any good useable parts, especially at .09/pound. Just my worthless .02/pound.

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 2

Don't get me wrong with my take but as I see it unless there is someone living fairly close by and has an immediate need for these parts their value is not going to be high.........my reasoning is that you say that they all have a couple of thousand miles on them and I fully agree that that's really not much however unless there is some way to actually prove the mileage and due to the age since rebuilding etc there appears to not be,  then if someone has the same bits on their car and needs to restore it then they may decide that rebuilding their stuff gives them a 100% guarantee that everything is o/k.......unfortunately what you have are 2nd hand parts and realistically just ain't worth much..................having said all this I would like to think that you do get some reasonable recompense for them but their value at present is not high..................however what condition are they in appearance wise?.........if they appear clean and appear to support what you say then that will help, but dirty with general road grime will not help your case that much..........here in Oz what you have would be lucky to get more than $8-900.00 Aust and that's being generous..........which would be approx. $5-600.00 US............dunno if this helps much....good luck in the process..........btw a very good, non worn steering box might be the pick of the litter tho'.............Andy Douglas      

And I thought this "hobby", "lifestyle", etc was about helping others out. I can understand scraping parts that are a dime a dozen, but with these older cars, we need to salvage good useable parts. in the end, it's your decision.....me personally, if someone is willing to pay the shipping, it's theirs. If it takes me a little work to help someone out, i'm just happy to help. I hope you don't scrap any good useable parts, especially at .09/pound. Just my worthless .02/pound.

Havn taken anything off yet. But my recent experience with parting out c10s is even at dirt cheep and often free, "I want it/gotta have it/thats the part I been needin for a lifetime" balk and then back out on shipping costs alone!

Don't get me wrong with my take but as I see it unless there is someone living fairly close by and has an immediate need for these parts their value is not going to be high.........my reasoning is that you say that they all have a couple of thousand miles on them and I fully agree that that's really not much however unless there is some way to actually prove the mileage and due to the age since rebuilding etc there appears to not be,  then if someone has the same bits on their car and needs to restore it then they may decide that rebuilding their stuff gives them a 100% guarantee that everything is o/k.......unfortunately what you have are 2nd hand parts and realistically just ain't worth much..................having said all this I would like to think that you do get some reasonable recompense for them but their value at present is not high..................however what condition are they in appearance wise?.........if they appear clean and appear to support what you say then that will help, but dirty with general road grime will not help your case that much..........here in Oz what you have would be lucky to get more than $8-900.00 Aust and that's being generous..........which would be approx. $5-600.00 US............dunno if this helps much....good luck in the process..........btw a very good, non worn steering box might be the pick of the litter tho'.............Andy Douglas

Pretty much the across the boards responses and inline with my experiences on the c10s.....the parts, no matter rarity or condition, aint worth much!