mrwrstory

Slowly sneaking up on the assembly process.  Seems everything takes longer at my age  :o 

Just got the block scrubbed and block and heads painted.  In addition, and with the help of several friends, I am coming to understand that some 318/340 Mopar components, like oil pump, distributor and harmonic balancer, can be used.  I'll also patch in a GM HEI module to the Mopar electronic dist.  'Tho it may offend the purist, :eek:  it's a comfort to know you can get one at just about any auto parts store across the country.

IMG_6837_zps04833759.jpg

-

IMG_6851_zps67b538c5.jpg

-

IMG_6849_zps21a5ee0b.jpg

• Like 1

nothing looks sweeter then a hemi.....and  i too think im going  to convert to  the gm style  unit  and install it in the  mopar  box,,seen  it on annother forum,,,and use the  msd unit,,,and carry and extra,, they say  its a hotter spark,,,who  knows for sure,, and  gonna run E3 plugs,,,

My gosh, you must have a circle gauge and I see a mechanical pencil like the one I used in high school mechanical drawing class in the sixties. Is that a recent manufacture or an old survivor pencil? I bet you have a stirring motion pencil sharpener too, judging by the shape of the lead. This is a bit off topic but caught my eye.

How's this?  It's how I made my living in the last century.  As old as it is, it all works.  Maybe that's why I struggle so with the />^&*# computer.

IMG_6882_zps17a709aa.jpg

...we put a man on the moon using this stuff......

Edited by wayfarer

you sure do NICE  work......and how is it attached to the dizzy ??

Electrically??????  

I have the GM connector to replace the Mopar unit shown.  One of the other two pins on the other side is switched power and the fourth is ????  That's when I call my friend  :confused: 

Edited by mrwrstory

Electrically??????  

I have the GM connector to replace the Mopar unit shown.  One of the other two pins on the other side is switched power and the fourth is ????  That's when I call my friend  :confused: 

i ment  how  it that bracket  attached to the dizzy ??? if you pm me your e mail  i have a wiring  diagram they used on another mopar forum to convert the wiring  to that ECU your using,,the y converted it  and  hide them in the mopar  box using the mopar   ECU   4/5 weather tight plug,,  ill be doing that some  time this season,,, using an  MSD  ecu

i ment  how  it that bracket  attached to the dizzy ??? if you pm me your e mail  i have a wiring  diagram they used on another mopar forum to convert the wiring  to that ECU your using,,the y converted it  and  hide them in the mopar  box using the mopar   ECU   4/5 weather tight plug,,  ill be doing that some  time this season,,, using an  MSD  ecu

Check the first two pics in Reply #29.  Screwed the heat sink to the bottom of the dist. from the inside.

But alas,...... :o I also screwed up!  :mad:  Nice work thank you but, in the wrong place  :angry:  Guess that's called experience  :lol: 

IMG_6912_zps62b5f0f0.jpg

So,...since I also need to be able to adjust the timing, I'll re-do the heat sink/HEI module to the opposite side of the dist.

Edited by mrwrstory

Could you spin the dist 180 degrees so the vac advance is pointing the other way?  That would put your heat sink facing front of block.

Yes, that was my first thought.  However, that put the vacuum pot pointing to the driver side which is opposite to where the vacuum source on the center carb is.  So I redid the heat sink/HEI mounting @ about 170 degrees.  I.E., I assumed the mounting screw on the other side if the dist. was directly opposite my original mount (180 degrees).  Not so but the idea was salvageable even tho not quite as pretty.  I'm not showin you that  :eek:   The upside is, I don't ever need to worry about water in the dist. 'cause I've got lotsa extra drain holes now.

-

IMG_7086_zps223aacc0.jpg

-

IMG_7090_zpsc789cd9d.jpg

-

IMG_7088_zps6e06b0fb.jpg

-

I still only have about 35-40 degrees of rotation to set timing.  And, it's on me to initially establish the dist./oil pump index relative to the cam, the #1 plug terminal, and still have enough dist. rotation to tune.  But that's what makes it fun, eh!

Alsooooo..........

Took the cutoff wheel and grinder to the stock iron water pump/thermostat housing to separate the two functions.  This to maintain, as best I can, the non billet look with the Chev waterpump.  Still need to resolve the hot water bypass cuircit.

IMG_6904_zpsc7208997.jpg

-

IMG_6906_zpsbef98285.jpg

-

IMG_7098_zpsdea8bf15.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

bill what are you going to do with the  hole on the bottom of the cross over ??  re work it to use the by pass ??  ide liek some thing like that on my  241,,,

Probably going to plug it.  Near's I can figger, since that hole goes into the area below the thermostat, it would not work as a by-pass.  However, I'm thinkin the port in the top of the Chevy pump would serve that purpose and further thinkin to supply that by-pass port with water from the back of the heads to average the temp. diff. between the front and rear of the heads.  

I may be over thinking the subject and know that Chrysler did not worry about temp. diff. front to back.  However, it's kinda fun to fool around with the idea.  Kinda like an HEI on a Mopar  :lol: 

The latest,................. and a question.

The question is. "is there a way to post a video on this forum.  I've achieved my first attempt to record a short video of part of the engine assembly but have been unable to figure how to post it.

post-3006-0-31339100-1398915163_thumb.jpg

post-3006-0-46706500-1398915166_thumb.jpg