Ignition Key Lock Removal

dontknowitall

to take it out of the dash?  Townwagon here sells a handy tool that goes around the chromed casting cover on the dash.  They just thread on and off like a nut.

Hi,

looking for info as to how remove and replace the ignition key lock barrel.

I had mine pulled apart and rebuilt Ryan - I'd imagine that replacing the barrel would involve a similar process. The back of the barrel should be tapped in at the sides to hold in the inner workings. I didn't see what my instrument repair fella did with mine, but I know that he carefully levered out the tapped-in section and removed the centre piece. You should be able to gain access to the lock barrel by this process. I assume that you are missing the key?

post-3915-0-94188400-1379593690_thumb.jpg

Unscrew the crome ring. There is a very small spring loaded pin sticking up in the threads for the chrome ring.

Turn the switch to the 'on' position, push down on the pin and the key and cylinder will slide out.

I have an extra ignition switch and key if it will help ya Ryan.

post-2585-0-80510700-1379603808_thumb.jpg

Unscrew the crome ring. There is a very small spring loaded pin sticking up in the threads for the chrome ring.

Turn the switch to the 'on' position, push down on the pin and the key and cylinder will slide out.

I have an extra ignition switch and key if it will help ya Ryan.

Thanks Kevin,

I will let you know if needed, the only real good locksmith has left town..the one left is all modern and would charge me $75 just to walk in the shop...

I had mine pulled apart and rebuilt Ryan - I'd imagine that replacing the barrel would involve a similar process. The back of the barrel should be tapped in at the sides to hold in the inner workings. I didn't see what my instrument repair fella did with mine, but I know that he carefully levered out the tapped-in section and removed the centre piece. You should be able to gain access to the lock barrel by this process. I assume that you are missing the key?

Yes, Davin..missing keys..so frustrating

Wow, that's a whole lot easier than I thought. I was lucky enough to have the keys in the ignition of my 52 truck, but the ignition itself was well worn and needed work. I'm not so lucky to have the keys in any of my other trucks though!

Drill or dremel the pin down a bit if no key. Then pull and discard the cylinder.

After throwing out the correct pressure plate for my truck, I have personally removed the word "discard" from my Pilothouse Dictionary (you never know).  If it helps, for lack of a locksmith, anyone  that needs to, could send me their ignition and door lock for keying alike. I'll find out just what it'll cost ahead of time.  Must be a million good locksmiths around here. My guess both should be able to be keyed alike for $50-$75 with or without a key.

PM me,

Hank :)