318 Dipstick

FESTER60

Hello,

Well now that something like warm weather has arrived I am back out in the garage and working on the Coronet. As some may remember I have swapped a 318/904 combo into mine as the old flattie was toast. I am happy to report that it runs. One little issue is I don't know what tube/dipstick to use in the 318. I had to change to the rear sump oil pan for steering clearence. Any ideas? Part numbers maybe?

you should only need to know the year and the location of the dipstick..some truck models had the dip stick on the oil pan itself, at least my big block has it there for the truck pan as used in my 41 Dodge..and also you will need to know if or if not 6 qt or 5 qt ..mine was a 6 qt model..so in reality there is not a cut and dry answer here and why it is so important to get the data from donor cars at the time you get the part.

FESTER60, I struggled trying to source a dip stick for my LA 318 with a rear sump. I don't know what the rear sump came out of. All I knew was the S channel in the side of the sump was too narrow to accept all of the sticks I tried. I choose the odious task of filing the edge of a dip stick the whole length with a hand file to make it more narrow. To my great delight the stick was soft metal and the task did not take very long. The next step was to pour in the correct number of quarts of oil, insert the stick, and adjust the stick length accordingly.

• Like 1

you should only need to know the year and the location of the dipstick..some truck models had the dip stick on the oil pan itself, at least my big block has it there for the truck pan as used in my 41 Dodge..and also you will need to know if or if not 6 qt or 5 qt ..mine was a 6 qt model..so in reality there is not a cut and dry answer here and why it is so important to get the data from donor cars at the time you get the part.

Well I never considered the 5qt/6qt angle. I first installed what turned out to be a cheap ass Mr. Gasket tube and dipstick. I then filled the engine with 5qts of oil. There was no reading on the stick, so I thought no problem I'll just shorten the tube. It was a long time before I "struck oil". By that time the tube was pretty short but still not short enough. The cheap ass dipstick was rivited together at the top and yes you guessed it, cracked at the rivit point.

So here I am back at square one. I do know that the engine is from an early 70's Dart, but that's all I know about it.

FESTER60, I struggled trying to source a dip stick for my LA 318 with a rear sump. I don't know what the rear sump came out of. All I knew was the S channel in the side of the sump was too narrow to accept all of the sticks I tried. I choose the odious task of filing the edge of a dip stick the whole length with a hand file to make it more narrow. To my great delight the stick was soft metal and the task did not take very long. The next step was to pour in the correct number of quarts of oil, insert the stick, and adjust the stick length accordingly.

I like this appoach. In fact I am going to the bone yard today to scrounge. Maybe I will bring back a few dipsticks to try. I was having some of the same problems (see above). So i will give this a shot.

So you need a 72-? (whenever the Magnum replaced the LA318) 4x4 318/360 dipstick and tube.

Autozone info:http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1978-Dodge-W150-1-2-ton-P-U-4WD/Dipstick-Engine-Oil/_/N-ivhf7Z93ymx

I think we are getting there. The pan was new as all the used ones I found were pretty beat up.

If you go to the junkyard pulling dip sticks be sure to measure the tube length from the entry into the block..if engine is from one donor source and the pan another you may never find a suitable match in dipstick without custom making it.  Also as you stated Dart source for the pan, would say you looking at 5 quart only.  Tube length, pan depth are both considering factors here...consider measuring you tube prior to going to the yard...may make getting the right dipstick easier..if you find a dipstick with a tube slightly shorter than yours..you can match your tube length..do touch oil prior to the cut and ensure the cut you  make will bring you to the full mark..

I went through the same deal, I have a late 80's 318 that has an earlier rear sump pan. I found a V8 rear sump Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dakota (cant remember which) at the boneyard. The factory dipstick fit my tube and pan.