Steering Gear Box Adjuster Screw

Attached is a photo of the steering gear box which I just rebuilt and filled with Penrite Steering Gear Lube.  The gear box has leaked oil out through the machined slot in the roller tooth shaft adjustment screw as shown in the photo.  I do not think grease should be leaking out so I checked the Steering section of the Dodge Truck Shop Manual for B1 trucks to see if something is missing.  I have a 49 B1B which is undergoing a frame off restoration.  Figure 3 on page 184 shows an adjusting screw with lock nut in place like that in my photo.  However, Figure 8 on page 187 shows the adjustment screw with a lock plate and an adjustment screw lock nut installed and the adjustment screw is not visible.  MY steering box did not have a lock plate or the lock nut like that depicted in figure 8.  Could you guys in the know tell me what is correct for the steering box so that it will not leak grease?  Thanks for your help.post-3258-0-72463100-1367693418_thumb.jpg

That lock plate pulls double duty as it has a tooth that holds the adjuster in place and also covers that slot.  The cap helps to hold the lock plate in place against the fill cap area as shown here :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

• 2 months later...