Chassis ???????

Nothing is going to bolt up to it. That's a given! S-10's and Rangers will be too narrow. You can go to Eastwood's build threads and find one they're doing with a S-10 under it. If that's the look you want, go for it. Dakota's have the right width but need to be shortened. "budstruck" has one that's well documented and there are several others as well. The easiest is to modify what you have already. Volare clips, MII setups, Crown Vics and even a C5 Corvette suspension has been put under these trucks. I've got a MII coil over under mine and when time and money show up at the same place and time, will get a triangulated 4 link in the rear.

Nothing is going to bolt up to it. That's a given! S-10's and Rangers will be too narrow. You can go to Eastwood's build threads and find one they're doing with a S-10 under it. If that's the look you want, go for it. Dakota's have the right width but need to be shortened. "budstruck" has one that's well documented and there are several others as well. The easiest is to modify what you have already. Volare clips, MII setups, Crown Vics and even a C5 Corvette suspension has been put under these trucks. I've got a MII coil over under mine and when time and money show up at the same place and time, will get a triangulated 4 link in the rear.
ERRRRR was afraid of that but when you take on a project nothing is easy.

The frame rail width on the trucks is 1/16" narrower than a stock C4 Corvette... shim stock is your friend...

I only know because I used to work around the corner from Art Morrison Chassis, have known that shop for years. Specs came from them in 2010, was going to go that route on my 49 and decided it was too expensive.

48-52 Ford F1 is very close, but not close enough for a direct swap. My uncle has one, we measured them against each other.

47-55.5 Chevy or GM ain't even close. Measured them side by side at the neighbor's house.

Ranger rear axle can be grafted on. Either replace the spring perches or swap your factory springs and mounts inboard, side to side. You'll need to mod your center cross member and relocate the fuel tank. Square nose Ranger 5 speed can replace the stock trans, the how-to is somewhere on the car forum. If you use the trans and rear end from a 108" Ranger the driveshaft MIGHT work. From a 114" forget it. I have both wheel base Rangers at my house, the 114" is my parts donor.

The frame rail width on the trucks is 1/16" narrower than a stock C4 Corvette... shim stock is your friend...

I only know because I used to work around the corner from Art Morrison Chassis, have known that shop for years. Specs came from them in 2010, was going to go that route on my 49 and decided it was too expensive.

48-52 Ford F1 is very close, but not close enough for a direct swap. My uncle has one, we measured them against each other.

47-55.5 Chevy or GM ain't even close. Measured them side by side at the neighbor's house.

Ranger rear axle can be grafted on. Either replace the spring perches or swap your factory springs and mounts inboard, side to side. You'll need to mod your center cross member and relocate the fuel tank. Square nose Ranger 5 speed can replace the stock trans, the how-to is somewhere on the car forum. If you use the trans and rear end from a 108" Ranger the driveshaft MIGHT work. From a 114" forget it. I have both wheel base Rangers at my house, the 114" is my parts donor.

thank you

Is there a problem with the frame you have? There's going to be a certain amount of fabrication whether you swap frames or suspension. What direction are you trying to go with this truck? Specific goals? The more we know, the easier it is to offer suggestions. What are your skill levels as far as welding and fabrication? Do you have the tools or access to them to do what is needed?

I sent you a pm in answer to the one you sent me. A frame swap is not for the weak of heart or skills. I am not saying you can't do it, I just want to forewarn you that it is not as easy as it sounds. There are alot of parts trucks (and cars) for sale or in the junk yard because their owners thought it would be a piece of cake and then found themselves over their heads. Like Dave said, what are your plans? There are plenty of things you can do with your stock chassis. I changed mine over because I have been in the auto body trade since 1968 and I actually do have the experience to make it happen. It's your choice, just be sure you make the one that is best for you and your truck.

Helix is a brand name,same as Fatmans, Heidts, etc. I used a Paul Horton Welder Series cross member with Speedway arms, standard spindles, Granada discs. Low enough? I think a soda can might fit under the front sheet metal.

The cross member I used lets me set the ride height. It's not predetermined as in some other kits.

Helix is a brand name,same as Fatmans, Heidts, etc. I used a Paul Horton Welder Series cross member with Speedway arms, standard spindles, Granada discs. Low enough? I think a soda can might fit under the front sheet metal.

The cross member I used lets me set the ride height. It's not predetermined as in some other kits.

Do you have a link? or whats the part number of your cross member? Edited by arkansaspilot

Pretty easy to find. Navigating aroiund in his site is a little more difficult than it used to be. Has a downloadable catalog.

www.welderseries.com

I used the 58" width. With the wheels I'm thinking of using, puts the track width within a 1/2" of factory.

Edited by Dave72dt
corrected the width of IFS setup

Check out helix MII IFS just as good and cheaper. these only come with 2" drop spindles. Dont think thats going to be low enough.

I run a fatman with standard spindles, and its plenty low enough..in fact almost 2 low, a little math will help you determine your final ride height, and spindles are easliy changed if required. the thing i like about the fatman kit is it is made for the truck, the widths are right, the rake is nice, and the x member fits, Horton stuff is also really nice, but when I did mine it was the first one i had done, and I was definitely nervous about cutting up my truck., the fatman kit took alot of the guess work out of it. Dont get me wrong ..you still need some fairly strong fabrication skills, but it was a fairly straight forward install.

post-6464-13585371643915_thumb.jpg

post-6464-13585371644554_thumb.jpg

Edited by albolton

What tail lights are those? They look a whole lot nicer than most other off the shelf choices.

37 Ford, aftermarket chrome LED about $80 for the pair, also available painted black if you want to colour match, I bought mine at Hortons hotrod parts, i like them too

Edited by albolton

just looked at the Helix stuff online, runs within 100 bucks of the fatman kit, and its a universal kit. the fatman kit is made to fit your truck, with your drivetrain choice, and it comes with every nut and bolt to finish the install, not saying in anyway that the quality of the helix isnt good, but i cant even describe to you how happy I am with the fatman set up, front end alignment went perfectly, and seriously...the truck handles as well as my wifes 2010 mustang, it has made my truck even better than I ever imagined it could be....just my opinion :)

post-6464-13585371655078_thumb.jpg

post-6464-13585371655767_thumb.jpg

Edited by albolton

just looked at the Helix stuff online, runs within 100 bucks of the fatman kit, and its a universal kit. the fatman kit is made to fit your truck, with your drivetrain choice, and it comes with every nut and bolt to finish the install, not saying in anyway that the quality of the helix isnt good, but i cant even describe to you how happy I am with the fatman set up, front end alignment went perfectly, and seriously...the truck handles as well as my wifes 2010 mustang, it has made my truck even better than I ever imagined it could be....just my opinion :)
thx bud I appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

You need some decent fab skills ..if you can't weld it yourself you could get it all tacked up and have a friend weld it up..I found the firewall and trans tunnel more work than the suspension, I am a millwright by trade, and I bet I still have at least 100 hours in it between the suspension, and the firewall,