Took out the Coronet

PhilJohnson

o222450618.jpg

I changed plugs in the Coronet and got it running using a boat gas tank. The fuel pump went out so I have one of those black rubber bulbs that I pump by hand. Put about 20 miles on it putting around. It felt great to be behind the wheel of an old car again. I really wanted to drive the ole beast a few times before the snow comes :)

Unfortunately I noticed that the oil pressure was quite low at idle (10 psi) and it was around 40 psi at 45 mph :( I checked the oil, it was about a half quart low. I plan on changing it, I think there is a bit of gas in there from the poor car flooding out. So I plan on changing oil next time I start the car up. The transmission seems to still have that slight click that varies with road speed but the clunking at low speeds is gone.

It needs a lot of bugs worked out but at least it's back on the road after nearly a year sitting in the yard.

o222450619.jpg

low pressure at idle is not a concern according to the operators manuals for these engines. As log as its 40 + at cruise you're good to go.

Hmmm jacking deer with no regi tags..........might be pusshing you luck specially dependig on the hand bulb.

low pressure at idle is not a concern according to the operators manuals for these engines. As log as its 40 + at cruise you're good to go.

That's good to hear :)

Hmmm jacking deer with no regi tags..........might be pusshing you luck specially dependig on the hand bulb.

Ha! No deer were harmed on this trip, plus the spot light doesn't work (yet....) Luckily I live in a very rural area, there are almost zero cops out here. If I see a cop they have their lights and sirens going so you could say they are preoccupied :) Farther to the south there is a 20 mile stretch of road with no houses, no buildings. I live next door to about the largest tract of public land in the state, it has it's benefits :D

Edited by PhilJohnson

What a nice looking car...landscape reminds me of Adams area?

Adams County is about 45 minutes drive from here (on the highway of course). Landscape is similar, lots and lots of low land.

o218252079.jpg

This is the same road in the middle of winter. As you can see there isn't much out here.

o221129591.jpg

About a mile south of me. No traffic, no cops, just trees and a dirt road. Perfect for slowly putting down the road in an old car. I'll probably take the Dodge down that way this week after I take care of a few things, and of course there will be more pictures.

That looks like a real "dirt" road. Not even graveled. Is that a fire lane?

Merle

No, it's a town road. There is actually a bit of traffic on it certain times of the day. It's traveled mostly by tribe members trying to get down to the tribal hub. I take it sometimes when I want a more scenic route to town. There is a nice modern bridge farther down which is basically the only way to cross the river without going on the highway. Roads have gotten a bit better, when I first got my license there were quite a few roads that one could get stuck in during spring thaw. The state threatened the townships that if they didn't maintain the roads they wouldn't get anymore funding. So there are no longer basketball sized rocks and multiple washouts except for this one road. For some reason it is really hard to keep it open. It was closed for 3 months this year, people still used it anyway. It floods and washes out a lot.

I remember about 8 years ago when all the wooden bridges washed out in the county. As far as I know there is only one left, and that one is on a road that is hardly traveled. Might have to take the Dodge down there sometime and get some pictures :)