1948 2 door Dodge

Dale Wray

What modern wheels will fit my '48 Dodge 3 window business Coupe with 15" wheels? Looking to keep original wheels but need to have something for use while working on car. I understand I can purchase "universal" rims, but more types are available on Craigslist, and cheaper. Still learning as much as I can.

Dale Wray

Ford car, light truck, Toyota pickup, Studebaker, Hudson, Chrysler Dodge Plymouth and DeSoto cars.

Non Chrysler products are not drilled for the locating pin on your hubs. You will need to drill 1 hole in each wheel for the pin if you use Ford etc. wheels. From memory it is 5/16, you can check by trying which drill fits the holes in the old wheels.

For just working on your car compact spares are great, they are small you can blow them up to 50 or 60 psi and they roll easy. Also you can often get unused ones for free at junkyards and very cheap at yard sales.

Some Ford Thunderbirds even had aluminum spares that polish up nice.

Ford Ranger steel spares are drilled for the locator pins... I knocked the pins out of mine. My 69 D100 is likely going to donate its 79 L'il Red Express rims to my 49 truck. And the 78 Ramcharger wheels on the 49 will go on the 69. Sweptline is currently farm only, no sense wasting hard to find rims on it.

Last time I checked, 5 lug Toyota was 5 on 4 3/4.

Easiest wheels to get for shop/winter use? Crown Vic, every boneyard in the country should have cop cars or taxis...

The only problem with spacers is the length of the lug bolt..you must ensure that you have full penetration of the drum with the lug threads and usually 2 threads past..I believe you be pushing it at 3/8 spacer...I run 88 5th Ave wheels, radial and wire baskets on my 49 and had to use the spacers on the front due to tie rod ends..the 3/8 were about max I dared push and about the minimum you need to have clearance..