Front bumper bracket needed for 1953 B-4- B pickup

The bottom of my bumper on my 49 B1B has some "winged" looking braces, but there are no "top" brackets. I am a few years model earlier, and I don't know if later models have similar bumper hardware, but I do have an extra set of these braces if anyone can use them. Joel

post-2269-13585362723075_thumb.jpg

post-2269-13585362724143_thumb.jpg

post-2269-1358536272637_thumb.jpg

I agree with you Joel. Although, my 2 brackets are bolted on top of the chassis rail to allow the crank handle hole in the bumper line up with the crank end. The bottom of my bumper bolts directly to the bottom side of the chassis rail. The brackets have slightly differing angles between the left and right ones - which would account for the 2 different part numbers.

I probably have some spares here in Oz, but the freight costs would be too high for consideration.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585362728761_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362729455_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362729986_thumb.jpg

I am not too adept at using this forum yet, but if you will do a search under "front bumper to frame" you will find a response from Barry Maxwell that has two attached thumbnails. The second photo shows what I need. The front bumper does not bolt directly to the frame. It is attached to the frame with four brackets, two under the upper lip of the bumper and two above the lower lip of the bumper. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Edited by manfromtarsus

I see what you mean about the lower brackets, I'll have to look again but my truck may very well be missing these too.

But at least on my truck ('53 B4B), and the majority of the trucks I've seen, the top of the bumper bolts directly to the top of the frame rail.

Now, just to demonstrate I'm not crazy :rolleyes:, here are a few pictures from my collection that pretty clearly show the bumper bolted to the frame at the top. Now, these aren't my pictures, just one's I've collected from the 'net (and probably this site). My truck isn't pictured, I don't have a good shot that clearly shows the bumper mounted to the frame.

post-7130-1358536273495_thumb.jpg

post-7130-13585362736537_thumb.jpg

post-7130-13585362737583_thumb.jpg

post-7130-13585362738786_thumb.jpg

post-7130-13585362739493_thumb.jpg

Edited by moparmonkey

Sorry 'manfromtarsus', I can't see where you are coming from. I'm thinking that you have the angled piece (which is part of the chassis rail) confused for a bracket. I've attached a few photos for you. The bracket in the photo that I attached previously are the only brackets used to attach the bumper as far as I am aware. You will find that there is no room between that bracket and the inside of the bumper for other brackets etc after you attach this bracket with the bumper to the chassis rail. It will fit directly onto the chassis rail (either on top or below the rail?).

I checked the previous post as you suggested. The photos that Barry attached showed the front of the chassis rail that had been modified (chassis rail cut off and steel plates welded to it). I'd suggest that Hank's and Merle's photos were a better reference point of the chassis rail for you.

My 51 Desoto and 53 Dodge truck/s have the brackets attached to the top of the chassis rail, whilst my 55 Desoto, 48 and 56 Dodge's have the brackets attached to the bottom (as I suspect yours should be).

I hope this clears things up for you.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585362752323_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362752602_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362752988_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585362753273_thumb.jpg

My 1949 Dodge Dump truck down here in Oz has a top bracket. Photo one shows the LHS chassis rail with top bracket loosely attached. It is on the same plane as the top of the chassis rail and it connects to the bumper bar on the outside of the rail - far right bolt hole (2nd photo). The winged bracket is for bottom rail attachment (3rd photo). I'm not sure if this was standard or not as it appears the top of my bumper had a flange welded on to it which is where this bracket bolts to. For added strength I'm thinking. The gurus should know....

post-7428-13585362753578_thumb.jpg

post-7428-1358536275437_thumb.jpg

post-7428-13585362755092_thumb.jpg

I agree with you Joel. Although, my 2 brackets are bolted on top of the chassis rail to allow the crank handle hole in the bumper line up with the crank end. The bottom of my bumper bolts directly to the bottom side of the chassis rail. The brackets have slightly differing angles between the left and right ones - which would account for the 2 different part numbers.

I probably have some spares here in Oz, but the freight costs would be too high for consideration.

Desotodav

Those are the same braces, or brackets, that my truck has. Mine were situated on the bottom when I took the bumper off, so that's how I put them back. Joel

I am not too adept at using this forum yet, but if you will do a search under "front bumper to frame" you will find a response from Barry Maxwell that has two attached thumbnails. The second photo shows what I need. The front bumper does not bolt directly to the frame. It is attached to the frame with four brackets, two under the upper lip of the bumper and two above the lower lip of the bumper. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Here's the second photo from the post you're talking about:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20802&d=1285251851

The photo that is included in the B1BKeven post was from my thread of 9/23/10 in which I was looking for frame ends (the previous owner cut them off for some reason as shown in the photo). Jeff Elwell offered to cut off the ends of his parts truck frame and send them to me. I then temporarily mounted them on to my bumper as shown in the attached photo. At some point in the near future I will have Jeff's frame ends welded on to my frame, and I should be good to go (hopefully). Hope this may help.

post-6619-135853627626_thumb.jpg

I guess I still don't know what brackets you need. The bumper in the picture Barry posted above is laying upside down, thus you have the BOTTOM braces if you have two like I showed in my last picture. What more are you wanting for the top? Doesn't that bumper you have bolt right to the frame ends on the top like the one in Barry's last picture? The bumper I have needs work also, but I will get some pictures for you, in case it's better than the one you have, and/or you don't find better, it may help you that way, but using the brackets I showed with the bumper I have there are no other brackets needed for it to fit on the frame ends. Joel

Edited by JoelOkie
spelling

Fellows,

I think I've got it figured out. I have all the parts I need. Part of the problem is that the previous owner had "doctored up" the bumper and its attachments and that is what threw me. Thanks for your input and patience, all of you! I might still be interested in a replacement bumper, however.

Fellows,

I think I've got it figured out......Part of the problem is that the previous owner had "doctored up" the bumper and its attachments ....... I might still be interested in a replacement bumper, however.

Glad you have it figured where it will to work for you. Those parts that have been jobbed, or doctored, by previous owners can throw a guy off some times. I have a pretty decent front bumper I will get pictures of it tomorrow, if you haven't found one yet. Joel

I am missing the two "lower brackets" (1272 564/5) on my pickup. I have the two upper ones (1272574/5). I've searched and searched with no luck. Would anyone be willing to sell me a pair or loan them to me so I can have a pair fabricated? Thanks!

What it sounds like you need is 11" off the front of another frame. When I bought my truck the previous owner cut off the ends of the frame and welded on brackets for a Ford Ranger front bumper. Young Ed keeps a sharp eye on craigs list and he spotted a free frame complete with a good bumper. I welded on 11" of the old frame and used the bottom brackets that came with the bumper. Just like one of the pictures posted earlier except that photo is viewed from the bottom. Good luck finding a frame and bumper.