Top transmission cover question

I've had the top transmission cover off a couple of times but, after I took it off yesterday, the thing is stuck in reverse.

After some farting around, I got it unstuck, except it now just flops around. I can see this 'knuckle' that probably has to mate into something but it isn't entirely clear to me what it is supposed to fit into. The exploded drawings in the manual does not really show you how it goes back together.

Are there any clear instructions out there?

It sounds like one of your shift forks missed it's corresponding groove in the sliding gear. Remove the cover again, make sure the lever is in neutral and all of the sliding gears are in the middle of their movement. Then carefully reinstall the cover, ensuring that all forks go where they're supposed to be.

Merle

It sounds like one of your shift forks missed it's corresponding groove in the sliding gear. Remove the cover again, make sure the lever is in neutral and all of the sliding gears are in the middle of their movement. Then carefully reinstall the cover, ensuring that all forks go where they're supposed to be.

Merle

Thanks but the stick was stuck with the cover off. I'll have to take a picture of the situation, next time I'm in the garage.

It sounds as if one of the shift rails rotated and the shift lever slid past it's home notch. You'll have to rotate the rail again to get clearance to put the lever back in positiion. Both the notches on a 3 speed or 3 notches on a 4-speed need top be lined up. That's neutral.

This is the cover in question.

TransmissionCover003.jpg

Those arms are supposed to slide gears. None of them slide as they are supposed to, for some reason. They do move sideways. Something is preventing that from happening, which likely was the cause for the stick being stuck to begin with.

The arms do come off or at least slide out of the way so this nubbie (red arrow) thing that basically is the end of the shift stick. It seems to want to be between the ends of the control arms. There is a space between them that seems just right.

The spring (green arrow) just seems to flop around and is just sitting there, unloaded. That can't be right.

TransmissionCover006-1.jpg

It sounds as if one of the shift rails rotated and the shift lever slid past it's home notch. You'll have to rotate the rail again to get clearance to put the lever back in positiion. Both the notches on a 3 speed or 3 notches on a 4-speed need top be lined up. That's neutral.

To rotate those rails, do I need to that those arms (fork looking things) off?

How about that large spring that sits around the end of the stick? What loads that?

.. and when you say "notches", are this indicators on those rails?

Is there some sort of interlock present? When I first looked at the stick, it was stuck in reverse. I got to move the stick out but it probably slipped out of its normal position - in other words, could it be that that the fork and rail is still in the reverse position and it doesn't let me slide the other gears?

Edited by coW52Dodge

Grab one of those"fork looking things" and push it towards the side of the cover. It may open up a gap that will let you move that "nubbie thing" back into the slots. The one that's on the bottom rail in your pic is the one I'd start with. The slot appears to be just to the right of your green arrowand there's already a bit of a gap between the bottom and center rail. You may need to pull out on the shift lever to get it to clear and go back in place.

Grab one of those"fork looking things" and push it towards the side of the cover. It may open up a gap that will let you move that "nubbie thing" back into the slots. The one that's on the bottom rail in your pic is the one I'd start with. The slot appears to be just to the right of your green arrowand there's already a bit of a gap between the bottom and center rail. You may need to pull out on the shift lever to get it to clear and go back in place.

Thanks. There appears to be a slot cut into the other end of the arm the 'nub' fits into. It is just jambed there, though. The forks don't seem to slide.

That spring around the gear select stick is just flopping around, not really doing anything.

I think I'll just pop the cover off the old transmission and see what's what.

The big spring is supposed to be locked into the case above the shifter rails. I had a similar problem with my 4 spd. It would sometimes stick in reverse and was nearly impossible to get out. The problem turned out be be the reverse plunger in the shift arm had a worn spot and the shift handle was also worn. In the right alignment the two would lock together. It was found after dissasembling the top cover and inspecting the pieces. It was not as hard to do as I had feared.