I love my job...

most of the time.

I had to go visit a customer this afternoon to look at tracks on a dozer. On the way there I drove past a B1B for sale on the side of the road. This is only a few miles from where I live but not a road that I would normally travel. It's obvious that the guy doesn't know what he has. The sign on the windshield says it's a '47 and he's asking $5000 OBO. I'd have a hard time offering over $500, but that's me. It's pretty rough, with the fender rivits rusted through and a half @$$ed patch over them, the running boards are like swiss cheese, the right rear fender is badly cracked and winkled and held together with straps and pop rivits, and over all not pretty. The engine bay looks all cleaned up and looks like it has probably run recently. It does have the factory fresh air heater though.

Then when I got to the customer to look at his dozer I couldn't help but notice his '66 FuryII sitting up on jack stands in the shop. We probably talked as much about the car as we did the dozer. Apparently he got it from the family of a friend. It was Grandma's car and when she quit driving it just sat. And after she passed it continued to sit. Nobody in the family wanted anything to do with it. He paid $200 for it to get it out of there. It had 28000 original miles, the brakes were frozen up, and it hadn't run for many years. He got the brakes freed up, got fresh gas to the carb, and it fired up and ran just fine. He's now going through the 318 Poly engine to seal up oil leaks, add a performance cam, 4 bbl intake, and headers. It also has Kreager mags that he got from Craigslist for $75. It's got a few dents and dings from "Grandma" and probably from getting stuff piled on it in the garage. But other than a few missing trim pieces is in remarkably good shape.

Here's a couple pics of the truck. I didn't take any of the FuryII.

P6162867.jpg

P6162866.jpg

That pic convinces me that spotlights on a Pilot House look goofy. Ditto the cab corner lights. Saves me some aggravation and some serious cash. I'd been planning to use Indian Chief Roadmaster front fender lights as cab markers... And add a set of dummy spots right above the cowl.