Newbie with a 56 Ply 230

bbbbbb99

Howdy.

I've got a 56 Savoy with a 230 in it and I'm slowly collecting parts for a rebuild of the engine. This is my "project in waiting" as I am currently building a 64 Dart Statiowagon with a slant in it.

I've contacted a local shop about a rebuild and it's going to be around $3200. shortblock. I've already gotten an offy dual carb intake and plan on a mild cam and having a local welder modify my stock manifold into a dual outlet. (I have another maifold to get an outlet off of).

I've got an engine stand and I'm considering having that shop do the machine work and then assembling it myself.

Any advice is welcomed. Parts sources for the internals? I've checked around and it seems that Vintage Power wagons has it all but some of their prices aren't the cheapest I've seen. Eddgy's cams seem like the best value so far.

Anyway, if you guys would like to chime in I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch

go to the main page of the P15 D24 website and check out the parts suppliers listed.

There was just another thread regarding rebuilding costs, according to the post there, yours seems a bit high, but not kowig where you are its hard to say what local costs you are dealing with. Engines are pretty simple to build so the option is yours if you have the basic skills. Only tricky part is that connectig rods for mated cylinder pairs are offset so care needs to be taken to keep them matched.

Lots of info here, the search feature can be your friend as well as the information on teh sites main pages.

Welcome to the discussion but do take some time to familiarize your self with the good stuff in other parts of the site.

Possible alternative to the split exhaust manifold is to go with the Fenton repop cast iron headers available from Langdon's Stovebolts or contact Moose here on the forum as he builds tube headers for the flatheads.

For your reference here is a video of my 218 with stock cam, running the Langdon's headers, through 2 inch duals and short 14 inch no-name turbo style mufflers.