Gearbox difference

I have 2 gearboxes, not sure what year but I think 1950 and 1953.

There is a difference in the gearing and like to know what the difference means...one seem to have syncro stuff..

One has a 6 inch emergency brake set up the other is 7 Inch..

can I use either in my fargo?

post-6484-13585361682518_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361682874_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361683248_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361683594_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361683991_thumb.jpg

Edited by dontknowitall

Are they 4 speed trannies? Those did change from a non-syncronized version to a syncronized version. I think the change happened with the B3 models.

There are other changes with the case design. The non-syncro 4 speed has the drain plug pointing down at an angle and the PTO drive is near the front. The syncronized version has the drain plug pointing straight back and the PTO drive is near the rear.

Merle

Well, thats the question I asked earlier..can colum changes have 4 speed tranny's? But I do think these are 3 speeds

Both of these come out of B2B cloum shift..I am trying to make up my mind as which one to use..which one would be better?

Both Cases are identical ,

the only difference is the brake set up one is 6 Inch.... the other is 7 Inch

and the inside of the greaing set up :eek:

post-6484-1358536168635_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361686714_thumb.jpg

post-6484-13585361686963_thumb.jpg

Edited by dontknowitall

I know, thats what I try to find out..what is it? and Can I use this in my B2B? Is this heavier Gearing?

as long as the outside dimensions, bolt patterns, bearing surfaces and splines are the same you could probably use either. any gearing difference would be personal preference. the silver colored one may be from a later model vehicle. there should be a casting date either on the top cover or on the case itself or both. i cant remember.

The 1st one (later model) is a pin type 3 speed aluminum syncro ring trans and the earlier one 1950?- is a strut type - brass syncro trans. None is a heavier duty than the other. Pin type syncro's when not worn out shift very easy and smooth.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

The later gearbox (syncro) seems to have been overhauled earlier so i use that one.

next question..I can just change over the 7 Inch brake drum to the smaller 6 Inch one as I have everything set up for that.?

Thanks Bob!

The later gearbox (syncro) seems to have been overhauled earlier so i use that one.

next question..I can just change over the 7 Inch brake drum to the smaller 6 Inch one as I have everything set up for that.?

You should be able to swap the complete drum/band and linkage over as long as the case is exactly the same.

Bob