A newbie

homer2105

I just picked up a 48 Dodge D24 Custom Trim. Already your site has been a major source of info. I have a few issues, I have NO brakes (sounds like common problem) but haven't had time to work on them. Thinking about doing the whole smear (master, slave, shoes, rebuild), my gas gauge flickers and so does amp gauge. Drivers door won't shut all the way. I could use weather stripping on doors and trunk too, ya know where I can get that? Oh yeah, do you have to add lead to gas and zinc to oil? I think these were needed for lubrication and have been eliminated. Thanks for any and all help, opinions.. Bruce, aka Homer, aka Slapz.

Welcome t the forum, I would suggest you put your future posts on the general forum for the p15 d24 group. this tech are is usually for fixes or such that folks have come up with.

Brakes can be tricky, but are reliable and effective when correct. Go to the main page that supports this forum. Use the return to p15 d24 button in the header of the forum. Then go to works in progress using the navigation button in the left hand colume.

There you will find a comprehensive article regarding the workings of the braking system.

And conventional wisdom is no lead needed as Chysler put hardened exhust seats in theis engines. Zinc phosphate was not a common additive in oil when these cars were built, and is needed for flat tappet engines with strong valve springs (read high reving v8) and is likely not an issue withthese engines, unless you rebuild them including a new camshaft.

Also on the main page is a list of vendors handling parts and pieces for these cars, I believe there are three or 4 sources listed for rubber parts.

If you can take some time to complete some more info in your user profile, especially relating you your car and your general location. There may be som forum folks ear you that can assist with advice and parts.

You may also add the car info so it shows on your posts either int he form of a signature or in the bar up top so folks can know what your talking about.

Again welcome and have fun with your Dodge.