Chassis number location

sp15cspecial

Hi i know there have been threads about the location of the numbers and where they are but all 4 of my chassis have no signs of numbers anywhere apart from the left and right sides with a p15 beside them . I was wondering if all the chassis that came out didnt have a number on them sounds strange to me but to have 4 the same would be a rare coincedence I would like to know if all the australian made were the same.

generally the engine number is stamped on the frame arch behind the rear wheel on the left side. Don't know if that was the practice downunder.

The serial number on the door pillar is usually the definative number for a finished car.

Thanks Greg when i last went to register the car guy at the Garage said there was no number on the chassis . I told him that the body number is the chassis number still wouldnt believe me :( .guess the next time it goes in it will have a chassis number stamped on it . As the saying goes cant teach and old dog a new trick must mean cant tell a young mechanic how they did things back in acient times.:D

The number stamped into the frame by the rear wheel is the same as

the number on the engine......at least originally. If the engine has

been changed, then it will have a different number. If all your numbers

begin with P15....followed by some other digits, then all your vehicles

must be 1946-early 1949 models. Here in the U S the P15 is a Plymouth.

At least where I live in Missouri, the P15, etc, engine number was also

used on the car title as the serial or vin number when the cars were

new. Now, over time, some folks have substituted the numbers found

on that little metal serial number strip on the front doorpost.

• 2 weeks later...

Gday sp15cspecial

Try looking on the outside front right of the frame. My 40 Chrysler Royal has a hand stamped 7 digit number there. According to the number it's a 1940 Windsor chassis with a TJ Richards body.

Cheers

Rick