1952 or 1953?

razerface

Are the rear fenders like the 48-52's or are they the fatter ones for 53? Is there a plastic DODGE script in the center of the dash like the 53's or sort of a bow tie looking piece of stainless?

You need to get your hands on this book. In my opinion it's the consummate authority on all things related to Dodge Pilot-House trucks. I reference it often to answer questions that pop up here. They're a little pricey now, if you find one, since they're out of print.

Book.jpg

However, here's the Reader's Digest condensed version answer to your question.

'48 & '49 = B1 Series. First new body style after WWII

'50 = B2 Series. Minor changes include, but not limited to, column shift 3 speed and parking brake handle under dash to clean up the floor. Stainless grill bars are now an option instead of standard on light trucks. Fluid Drive is first offered on light trucks. Increased output generator with ammeter to match.

'51 & '52 = B3 Series. The trucks got a face lift with a new grill design including slight changes to the hood. The dash layout also changed along with the beltline crease in the doors.

'53 = B4 Series. The last generation of B-Series trucks. "Truck-O-Matic" semi-automatic transmission is offered. The rear fenders changed to the more boxy style that was used into the '80's. There were also some other trim changes such as the "Dodge" emblem on the dash that Reg mentioned.

Merle

Seems like on some trucks, the dealer titled based on model year...others based on when they sold it.

my fenders are different then yours and my dash says "dodge"

I guess it is a 53 titled as a 52. Thanks for the info!

I'll find that book Merle. I like books! I keep all books even when I sell the toy.

I wonder what trouble it would be to get the title changed? I was going to do something like that a few years ago on a motorcycle, but don't remember what they told me was involved. I don't think it was simple,,,,,,

Edited by razerface

thanks for the help!

With the pics and everybodys info here, I concluded my truck was a 1953.

I went to Reg's link for the serial number, printed the info out that it came up with,,went to the DPETCA and printed out some of their serial # info,,,went to DMV with my research and convinced them it was a 53 too.

They changed the title for me. I'm happy.

Short of obtaining a copy of your build sheet from Chrysler, and picking out certain features that were unique to the 1951 & 1952 B'3s versus 1953 B4's, you can look at your engine cast date on driver's side (starboard). Assuming you have original engine in your truck the cast date will give you a good estimate give or take a few months as to when the engine was paired with the cab & suspension. A late 1952 cast date could very well had ended up in a 1953 model B4. The build sheet will be the definitive answer to your question, but as I found out you need to privide Chrysler Museum with a copy of your title with truck in your name, someting I will not do until I finish my restoration sometime this decade.