steering box?

i dunno, in have re-lubed everything on my truck except the steering box, and am thinking of just pulling it and goin through it and giving it a thorough cleaning. what do you guys think i should do? im not pulling the cab or anything, and i have a column shift, what kinda work am i looking at here and is it worth it?

Run down a few posts to " add a zerk to your steering box". You might consider doing that to yours. However if you have a problem with the box, should probably take care of that at the same time. It'l be a chore getting everything to slide out the bottom.

I've removed two steering columns on my B3's restore (both column shift) and reinstalled one. The process is fairly simple as long as you're able to remove the floor pans and get the steering wheel off. After 50 plus years that steering wheel can be stubborn (whole other story - go to Search), but once its off, removal of the column is just attacking strategic bolts and nuts. The engine compartment access is a little tight but if you put the truck up on blocks there will be ample room to manuever. Take before pictures and document your steps for the reverse install. Keep us posted.

Just my $.02, but generally speaking it can't hurt. My feeling is that anything that required lubrication on any machine 50+ years old could use a tear down, inspection and cleaning. Old lubricants don't age well and we don't know the minute details of what others did or did not do for maintenance in the past. I'd say if your up to it, do it. Re seal it and adjust it as needed.

from members in Texas, Wisconsin, California, Pennsylvania and yes even the show me state of Missouri, at least here in California... they call me "The Steering Box Kid" (pppphh).

You might want to check out a couple of threads:

In post #9 there are pdf's attached that you can use to cut out gaskets if youu have the same steering Gemmer steeting box as my 51 B3B.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=21335&highlight=steering

The linkage is tricky so I'd advise taking a lot of photos and coming to a solid understanding of how it works and how it is assembled before you start wrenching.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=21840

So far you've gotten good advice,

Hank :)