Plug wire length

flatheadjim

Does the length of the Plug Wire have any effect on the quality of Spark? I'm thinking of running the Wires lengthwise with the head then down and around back to the Distributor which would just about double their length. Will this lessen the Spark or maybe induce Voltage across and into another wire? I was also thinking of running the wires in a metal tube of some sort to clean things up a bit. I plan on using Modern silicone wraped wires. Anybody remember there Electricty 101 class?

Well usually the longer the wire the more the resistance and voltage drop but with 20K volts or so it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of upper crust cars ran their wires in a conduit for a cleaner appearence. I just saw a picture of a flat 6 whee the wires came down the pass side of the engine head with each one exiting the tube even with and about 2 inches away from the plug. Might have been a heavy duty truck, but it looked pretty nice.

I think I saw where the straight eights use a wire cover that runs the length of the head. However, my 55 Buick manual shows which wires to run next to each other under the wire covers that run along the sides of the heads so they don't induce voltage into the wrong ones. I didn't know about it until I moved the wires in their brackets and then I could tell the difference. Might want to look into that.

I'm not sure if this is true as it has never happened to me personally, but its something to consider,

My highschool auto teacher always said having the coil far away from the distributor led to premature failure (of the coil).

anybody else ever hear this?