Cost of radio

H Suhling

Does anybody know or can give an educated guess as to the cost of a 51-53 dealer installed radio when a new truck was bought.

Thanks

Harvey

I looked through 3 Dodge truck factory data books 1951- 2 and 3 and the C-1 price book on accessories- no 610T radio listed! But some other odd items were- the cable driven tach $45.00 and ash trays @$2.00, dual horns @$12.00,dome light $5.00, 2 grille guards-$2.50 -left mirror arm $2.50/Rt $3.00 Rear pickup bumper $8.00. B108 PU Low side express body $7.00 extra.

Bob

I am not in the know like many of you, but have paid attention to all the 610T radio debates the last few years for my B108 driver and resto. I have even participated in the hunt on Google and e-Bay, and spent countless hours at swap meets looking at every vintage radio in piles of boxes looking for Eureka! What I have always found strange is that Dodge provided Mopar parts and accessories for all their vehicles, without many exceptions. The 610T I believe is a private brand Motorola radio and doesn't seem to fit into the usual Dodge radio nomenclature, but does fit the standard opening. Could it have been a rare after-market alternative to a Mopar radio. I would certainly want to see something definitive here because if the 610T is truly a Mopar factory issue, I will stay in the hunt.

The 610T will cost you more than the $6.50 it did in the day, if you can ever find one.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe Dodge was price skimming and trying to compete against the more prevalent Chevy's and Fords, so the dealers in this region brought trucks in with little to no options (even though there were many options available) since the trucks were as expensive or more than the competition.

So, Dodge in this region from the era of our trucks are nearly option free, so it is rare when you find something like a radio present, deluxe interior features (sunvisors, arm rests...) or dual horns even if these were available options.

KJ

Edited by KJ's Dodge

Bob,

How bout I give you $50.00 for that old funky 610T radio head . You probably found it in the back of an old Rambler Classic for free! You'll make some money on it too!

Bob