what disc brake kit to use with dropped uprights???

tankwilson

Got a few questions on dropped uprights and disc brake kits.

Got a bagged 49 plymouth (p18). Got some fatman dropped uprights i want to put on this winter. I am thinking about also putting on disc brakes up front and changing to a dual master cylinder.

What disc brake kit works good with stock wheels???? What dual master cylinder do i use.

Any of you guys done it all or just some of it?? Lets hear your story.

2898366470048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

Mine is the one on the left.

I have dropped uprights on my '52 Dodge Wayfarer. I used Plydo disc brake kit. It works fine with stock wheels. I didn't know about Rustyhope when I got the Plydo kit. I used a dual resevoir master cylinder from ECI. Worked ok, but I had do some cutting and welding to get it to work. I think thats because the car had fluid drive, and the cross member is farther back.

Bob

I've installed my kits on a couple of lowered cars that had stock uprights. It worked fine, but it's a tight fit down there with the steering arms. I'd guess it would work with the Fatman lowered uprights as they are probably thinner than stock making a bit more room. As mentioned, you can get details on my kits at, www.rustyhope.com. Charlie.

It will not matter if you use Charlies kit or PlyDo's kit, you will still have to grind the arms down to 1.0" at the thick part of the rear mounting hole and countersink the bolts flush with the arms or they will limit the travel to much less than specificed in the manual for the front end alignment specs.

Edited by james curl
spelling, or for are

Charlie will your kit work with stock wheels?? I am looking for a kit that has good customer service, parts i can buy at Autozone or others. No worries on doing a little fab work. I do that for a living.

What dual master cylinder are you guys using and how hard was it to install?

The stock wheel question is always hard to answer on a car that is over 60 years old. Short answer is yes. However, most people use later wheels. I've heard of some wheels rubbing the caliper body slightly. I've seen stock wheels using a 1/4" spacer, but also mounted directly on the rotor. Most likely your stock wheels will work, and if not, a spacer should give you the clearance you need. All the parts in my kit are available nationwide at a variety of parts stores from NAPA to Autozone, to Discount and others.

Well i just ordered Charlies kit. Got the instructions and parts list really quick. Looks good. Hope to have parts next week.

Here is the plan

Install fatman dropped uprights

Install Charlies disk brake kit

Install ECI dual master cylinder kit

All of this on a air bagged car. Will keep you guys posted. Should make a tech artical. What ya think???

• 2 weeks later...

Heres what i have so far.

Dropped uprights for my 49 Plymouth, bought used off another member

Charlies Disc Brake Kit $200

Brake parts needed to finish Charlies kit $270

will buy ECI dual master cylinder kit $300

I have $770 in it so far. I will also be buying all new brake lines to do the whole car. Hope to have this entire project done under $1000

Once done the car will be lower, have disc brakes up front and a dual master cylinder.

Anyone want pics of the project????