1948 1 ton dually rear axel questions

supertweet

can anyone reiterate the solution to rear axel swap,think i have4:89-1 ratio,needs longer legs as too high rev on rebuilt engine, my dodge mechanic is going to do install,need more info. also still looking for full size ( 9ft. )box to complete truck so i can do final paintjob this summer hopefully. thanks,dave in squamish bc.canada

I have an old motorhome that has a good rear end that will be going under the 62 Dodge D300 I bought last summer. Looks to be a direct bolt in swap.

Gets rid of the obsolete six bolt split rims and updates the brakes along with decent highway ratio.

The whole motorhome with a good running 440 was $200.

FrontViewDrivers.jpg

P1010011_edited.jpg

I have an old motorhome that has a good rear end that will be going under the 62 Dodge D300 I bought last summer. Looks to be a direct bolt in swap.

Gets rid of the obsolete six bolt split rims and updates the brakes along with decent highway ratio.

The whole motorhome with a good running 440 was $200.

FrontViewDrivers.jpg

That '62 D300 sure shares a lot of sheet metal with the '63 D200 I once had. Just an extra fill piece at the bottom front. A "D300" badge instead of a "D200". Same small rear cab window. A solid dependable truck.

• 2 months later...

I just installed a used 4.3 in mine that I got out of a junkyard. I was amazed how easily it came out of the parts truck (had been sitting for many years). I can run along at a little better that 45 comfortably according to my speedo, but I think its reading a bit slow. I'm planning on changing the 6:50 x 16 duals in the rear to 7's or 7.50s to give me a little more speed and keep the original look. I chose to replace the carrier assembly instead of a rear swap to avoid the engineering problems of moving the spring perches, etc. I wouldn't go much under a 3.9 if I were you-I think you'll be short on power. Mike