Cooling system cleaning advice - B3B 218ci

This is a re-post from the Technical thread a couple of days ago. There wasn't much traffic on the thread so I thought I would post it here.

I pulled my water distribution tube in 2006 as part of cleaning up my flathead and a frame off resto. The engine is out of the truck and I'm finally starting to reassemble. The far end of the tube is very narrow and was full of rust and gunk from 55 years. I have a new tube to go back in but before I re-install I want to make sure I have done everything possible to clean out and maximize the water flow beyond the tube, short of tearing down the block. What is the best way to clean out the water circulation cavities in the block. Are the channels large or small, and will a strong water flush do the job, or do I need to insert a pressure nozzle or a wire brus or ???

Anyone been here?

Jim in Dallas

Not sure what exact state your truck is in but here's what the shop had us do with the last one we assembled ourselves. After the block was all bored hot tanked etc. we took it to the local put quarters in and wash your own car wash. We sprayed the engine inside and out to clean it. Dry it off quickly of course.

Definitely pop out those freeze plugs. With the engine out of the truck, it will be really easy. The amount of crud you will find in the lower block area behind the plugs is amazing. I just used a garden hose and brush and flushed it all out. Be sure to clean the holes out well so the new plugs will seat properly and use some RTV or other sealant. To set the new plugs I held a ball peen hammer against them and struck it with another hammer to get the expansion you need. Zeke

Yes there will be an amazing mass of crud at the bottom of the cooling chamber and it may actually be built up higher than the freeze plugs, so remove them all as others have suggested. In addition to the water flush, I took a long flexible piece of spring steel (rewind spring from a lawnmower) and used it to dislodge the crud. The spring is stiff enough to scrape the stuff away and flexible enough to get to all recesses in the cooling jacket. It takes lots of work to get it all out.