New Dodge Guy

Guest Aderalik

Guest Aderalik

I just bought a '50 5 window 1/2 ton, B-2? I know NOTHING!!!!! Finally got it started and the "recently rebuilt" engine sounds like a clatter-a-thon. Gee, and he promised...........................!! Would anyone suggest maybe re-torquing the bottom end or am I just whistling through the graveyard? Another problem is that for a while I had first gear. Now I can't get first or reverse. Inspection reveals fixed rods and what looks to be no adjustment!! What am I missing and what is going on? Second and third are a piece of cake but first and reverse will not "click" or "seat" into gear. Please help a wandering and lost Chevy guy. "Barney" is cute as a bug but just sitting in my driveway doesn't get any points from the neighbors or Wifey Bear.

I would recommend you find a shop manual and read the instructions for shift linkage adjustment. The two column levers must be in exactly the correct position before you can get "cross-over" from the first/reverse gate to the second/high gate. Sounds to me like your linkage may have been bent a tad or perhaps a bushing has worn out and fallen out, giving you less than perfect alignment of these two linkages.

There is a lock nut and an adjusting not on the outboard side of the steering column as you look at it from above. This adjusting nut is on the rod linkage back to the trans and is a fairly straight-forward adjustment as I recall.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Sounds like he may have had an abusive past and just needs patience and some TLC. There is no better place than this forum to work out the issues. We've all been there at one time or another.

Jim in Dallas

If the engine is clattering and not clunking it's probably just loose valve adjustment. Is the oil pressure good ?

Yes, as suggested by grey beard ,get a manual and adjust the shifter linkage. Mine has the same problem. I should practice what I preach.

Can you post some photos of Barney for us to see? How about editing your profile to say where you are from? Welcome aboard.