Transmission help needed

Jim Yergin

I think I have a problem with my recently reassembled O/D transmission. When I have the transmission in what I believe to be neutral I cannot turn the output shaft independently of the input shaft. In neutral, shouldn't I be able to do so? They will only turn in unison. When I look inside the case I can see that the low/reverse gear is not engaged and I have tried the second/high shifter in various positions. The output shaft will turn independently when I have the O/D lockout lever pulled and the transmission is freewheeling. Do I have a problem and, if so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I have done wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Jim Yergin

Jim, in neutral you should be able to hold the output shaft from spinning while turning the input shaft. Are you doing this test with the shifter cover plate and levers installed? It's easier to find neutral that way.

I had a rebuilt 3 speed where the part called the clutch gear sleeve was in backwards. I could get it into neutral but it only had 2 speeds instead of 3 plus reverse.

Norm,

I have tried it both with the shift cover plate and levers installed and without. Same result. I did have the clutch gear sleeve in backwards at one time but I have corrected that. If the output shaft doesn't freewheel when placed in neutral it seems to me the problem has to be in that clutch gear set up . Do you know if there is something in particular I should look at?

Jim Yergin

In nuetral -input and output shafts regardless if in OD both should turn freely. Was 2nd to 3rd Syncro ring properly indexed with the 3 clutch dogs?- strut type trans, Maybe a input shaft needle bearing fell out of position. When assembling the two case halves they should push right up against each other completely and smoothly-if not something is wrong. Another note is that long 10 inch 5/16" shifter fork alignment rod W/ a screw slot must be put in after the 2 case 1/2`s are tigthened up. Otherwise it`s threads will stick out and cause case misalignment.If you end up splitting the case again loosen it up a bit at a time and see if the input finally turns freely then you should be able to find the problem. I don`t know if you have a pin type or strut type trans. The factory books show all you need to know. I think the problem is in the syncronizer assembly area.

Bob

What I was thinking was, when you put it in each gear, then turn the input shaft, does the output shaft spin at different rates for each gear, and does the input shaft refuse to turn in any position?

Just sorta thinking what I would do to figure it out. Offhand I can't think of exactly why neutral isn't happening. I hope some other folks will have some ideas.

Norm and Bob,

Thank you both. I will go back into the transmission and see what I can find now that you have confirmed what I thought was the case. I will post my results. If nothing else, I am getting pretty good at taking this thing apart.

Thanks again.

Jim Yergin

Success! For some reason second gear was binding up on the main shaft. I dissassembled the clutch gear slide assembly and freed it up. I don't know what was causing the problem but after reassembling it, second gear freewheels when not engaged. I have neutral now and all of the gears work and shift fine. Now I can proceed with reinstalling the transmission and the engine in the car. Thank you Bob and Norm for your help.

Jim Yergin

Jim,

2nd to 3rd syncro- clutch- assemblies are one area you have to be careful as to the syncro-ring and sleeve assembly are correctly indexed, syncro-ring not cocked on 2nd gear ect.

Good going!

Bob