Another tale of Woe.....OT

splat1955

Okay, so, if things weren't bad enough with our furnace going out just before the holidays.

At the end of Nov., my wife daughter and I went to Sears, we'd been contemplating the last couple years and doing research on flat screen TVs. So, anyway, just like everywhere I suppose, all the stores do a " Day after Thanksgiving " sale. So, we went shopping. At Sears. Ours is a small Sears outlet, privately owned and carries in stock only some hand tools, tool boxes, fridges, washers, dryers, tractors and some TVs. But you can order anything from the store and generally have it in a couple days.

Anyway, one of the " After Christmas " items was a $1000 TV, don't remember the brand, but I remember it was definitely not one that we had been looking at online. Well, in the local Sears flyer, there had been a misprint. They advertised a 46" 1080P Samsung....with all the goodies, card slot, mulitiple inputs and outputs....pretty much a top of the line set at that size as written up by a few video mags. Well, Sears had mistakently posted the correct model number, but had advertized it as a 720i set, and having pretty much no extras, but still a decent TV. They had advertised it a about $500 off the reg price of $1800. Well, this store had recently been purchased and we really didn't know the new owners, but had purchased everything from this store and the old owners since we moved up here 6 years ago.

Well, one of the new sales reps ( turns out the new owners son), after finding out we were not interested in the " Day after " $1000 TV, let us in on the error that had been printed in the " Day After Sale " flyer for this other TV. It turned out that the TV they had listed for just over $1300 was actually a $2700 set. Needless to say, I bought one. Now, this wasn't to be for me, but for my daughter and wife as they like a differenty type of programming than I do. It would be put in the living room and the 35" would come back to the bedroom and replace the smaller set I have back there.

They didn't have one in stock, but got us one on Monday. Well, to make a long story short....I didn't actually hook up the TV until about the 28th of Nov.

On Jan. 4th, I turned on the new set, it started to come on, then went off....and hasn't been on since. Called the owner of the local store. Told me that because it was over 30 days since purchased, that he couldn't/wouldn't get us a replacement, but would get service to fix it. Oh, and we also paid $300 for an extended warranty when we bought the set...and a complete Sony home theater sound system at the same time we bought the TV.

Anyway, it took a week for the service guy to come to our home. Said it needed a complete circuit board...which is a power supply board. He ordered the board but said it would be 1 1/2 weeks before the board would arrive at our home, and 2 weeks before he would be back out to install it.

Oh, also the new owner of the local Sears store had told us that if it turned out to be something that was not our fault, he would replace the whole set. Well, we told him it was a faulty power supply board, but he then he backed out of getting us a replacement set.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago or so the part arrived...the incorrect part. I called the tech since he gave me his personal cell number(turns out he's a car guy too and thought our '48 Dodge was cool). I called him cause I could tell that the part was wrong, he re-ordered the part, and now, tomorrow, 1/31, a tech is supposed to be out to put the correct part in since it arrived 6 days ago. As you've probably figured, the TV has not worked for about the same amount of time as we had it working!

Needless to say, I've contacted Sears Corp. office in IL and have sent multiple letters to each of the Executive Officers and am now in the process of sending the same letter to each member of the Board of Directors. I hope to hear something back from one of them soon as it's only been a few days since the letters went out.

Although this is a Sears store, I have been loyal to Sears for many years, was was my father and nearly all my tool, appliances, etc have been purchased from Sears and I have never, ever had a problem before with Sears.....but this new owner has really pissed me off. I will still probably make purchased from Sears again, I am sure of it, but, I will drive the 30 miles to the full size Sears store that is not privately owned. Anyway, nothing but fun for me since the old year ended and the new year began.

Oh, and sorry for being so long winded, but I just didn't know how to tell this story any shorter......again, sorry.

Thanks Ed.....I'm hoping tomorrow it will be working again. It's really not eating at me as much as it was when it broke.....but, my daughter and wife have had to resort to a 19" set in the living room while we are waiting for the repair to get done....cause I didn't want to give them back the 35" TV that used to be in the living room and is now in the bedroom where I watch TV....It's not I don't want them to have it, but it weighs a ton and its now sitting on top of a 6 foot amoire...and it took 3 of us to get it up there. So, for over 3 weeks now they've had to use my daughters 19" set. Hopefully all this changes tomorrow when they do the repair....

Not to mock your story but it's good to know someone else out there is going through the same glitch's in life. My son has been going through this with a tv he purchased so long ago, I won't mention it in hopes that you have better luck :D

It wasn't Sears :)

Ya know, you are right about the Samsung being one of the top 2 in flat screens...and almost all of the Samsung models have the highest ratings.

I'd read about our model and it's stats against other tvs by 3 independent writers....But, it seems that Samsung purchased a power supply board from one of the contractors they now outsource through....and a bunch of the boards have a problem....and it turned out that 2 models of TV's got them.....The model I have and one pretty much identical to mine but in a different screen size. Anyway, they just recently found out and we were first told that 1 in 700 had problems....I laughed at that because if that were the case, they wouldn't even condemn that as a problem. But since then I've heard it's more like 1 in 25 or something like that. And most have been replaced already....we just got unlucky and got one that still had the bad board in it. But when it's working...it's awesome. Hopefully tomorrow it will be working again...and I won't have to hear anything more about it from the wife.....

]

]

I'm actually surprised to hear that. Samsung is supposed to be one of the top of the line for the flatscreen tvs.

Although this is a Sears store, I have been loyal to Sears for many years, was was my father and nearly all my tool, appliances, etc have been purchased from Sears and I have never, ever had a problem before with Sears.....but this new owner has really pissed me off. I will still probably make purchased from Sears again, I am sure of it, but, I will drive the 30 miles to the full size Sears store that is not privately owned. Anyway, nothing but fun for me since the old year ended and the new year began.

Oh, and sorry for being so long winded, but I just didn't know how to tell this story any shorter......again, sorry.

For what is worth Sears is not really Sears anymore they are owned by Kmart