1949 Dodge B1D Sending Unit

Jimmy Justice

I have a 1949 Dodge B1D.  The sending unit needs replacing.  The whole in the floor board lines up (generally) over the sending unit.  My problem is that the angle between the floor board and the sending unit is too step for me to get a screw driver flat enough to be of any use in loosening the locking ring.  Is there a specific tool for this task?  The hole in the floor board has an inside dimension of 2.75 in., it is roughly 2.5 inches above the sending unit and the locking ring has three slots to "twist" it into/out of lock, which are roughly 2.25  inches apart.  I cannot find anything on line or in local stores that would work.  Any suggestions or directions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim

I agree with Dave, I made mine out of scrap pipe

On 8/22/2016 at 10:08 AM, Brent B3B said:

wanted  to share something I made to remove the fuel tank sending unit ring. nothing fancy and I know a screwdriver or pliers work but, I had a 8" section of 2-1/4" pipe and tacked on some 1/4" rod to pick up the ring ears/tabs, and drilled a hole through the other end 

post-6005-0-47758200-1471884945_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-59206500-1471884940_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-88964600-1471884942_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 3