Another Front Shock Relocation Thread / '49 Chrysler Windsor

65bcoda

I recently tried my hand at the front shock relocation on the ’49 Chrysler Windsor. After looking into what everyone else has done and tried I originally was going to go the F-1 shock mount route. I ordered a set and once in hand I really was not very impressed with how they needed to be mounted and having the mount pins opposing each other. They are now officially shelf-stock for a possible future project.

I checked the full range of movement of the control arms and decided on a 15” +/- ride height for the mid travel point of the shock. The Monroe OEspectrum 37121 shock with a collapsed length of 11.75” and an extended length of 18.38” fit the bill for 3+ movement from the afore mentioned shock ride height of 15”. These 37121 shocks have the ½” bushing on top and the required 5/8” sleeved bushing on the bottom. Of course this shock information is just reference only as each case is different in design and implementation and this is what worked for me.

I had some Ruff Stuff specialties angled shock mounts from a previous project and some sections of 2” Reese hitch tubes to work with, so to the sketch pad I went.

·         The Ruff Stuff Specialties angled shock mounts were made for attachment to a tube so I cleaned the ends up flat.

·         Cut the 2” tube to a 20 degree angle, from the heel of the angle I sectioned one face of the tube and drove in at an angle and welded to add rigidity to the tube. ( Dotted line)

·         5 ½” was determined to be the number from the toe of the 20 degree angle to the top of the frame notch to work with the 15” shock ride height.

·         The shock mount and tube were both beveled and welding was performed with a root pass before having two final passes and welded inside as well.

·         Due to the curvature of the frame in the area where the mount needs to be located the amount of material taken out front to back of the bottom notch was “sneaked up on” by trial and error, grind, test fit, grind, test fit until the desired profile was achieved. Laid the completed shock tower on the second and traced the profile to have a mirror image.

·         Added a piece of flat stock to the back of the notch to sandwich up against the front side of the frame.

·         Added a seat plate at the top of the notch to rest on top of the frame.

·         Again, due to the curvature and compound angles involved thru drilling the holes in the correct location and at the correct angle needed some thought before committing,     the holes were slightly oversized to accommodate for any deviation in hole placement.

·         A set of captured nuts welded to flat stock was utilized to secure in place with 3/8 grade 8 hardware. Slipped thru the triangular opening in the box frame (Yellow circle), took some fishing around with a welding rod with a small hook bend to get the captured nuts in place, but it is do-able, I personally would not attempt it with the front sheet metal on tho…………at that point I would just have to rely on a nice smooth smokey downhill burn with the mig…………

·         Once the captured nuts were in place I utilized some All-thread to thread into them then slipped the shock mount over the All-thread, removed the top All-thread and inserted the bolt then done same for bottom. Turned out that once the hardware was tightened it created some down force on the seat plate that positively locates the shock tower in place.

·         Added a couple strategically placed tack welds at bottom of mount and at the seat on top of the frame just as additional insurance even though the mounts were solid.

The shock has the needed clearance thru-out its travel range, the snubber bumpers are engaged at least ¾” before the shock bottoms out and the best thing of all is the wife                    helped me thru the process with minimal hurt feeling or getting too angry with me………….. which does not happen very often.

I hope this info may help another in the future as I certainly gain much info from this forum myself.

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3502 - Copy.png

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3539.png

Edited by 65bcoda

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

thanks for the headache trying to view the pics......😄

Your welcome.................

I tried to straighten out, but I think it may have something to do with the orientation of the phone ?!?