Machining a Bellhousing for Starter to Flywheel Depth

190bearplace
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

Probably about ten years ago Don Coatley described his problems and fixes with mating the transmission, clutch, and bellhousing on his project. I need hep finding that thread. I have found some pictures from the last part of 2013 showing the pilot bearing issues but no more. Seems like he was putting a long Dodge engine in his car. My problem is installing a D24 engine that had a fluid drive into a 40 Plymouth PU. The starter bendix gear binds with the flywheel teeth when installed. Or I need any input and thoughts of options.. Thanks for any help

On 1/21/2024 at 7:00 PM, 190bearplace said:

Probably about ten years ago Don Coatley described his problems and fixes with mating the transmission, clutch, and bellhousing on his project. I need hep finding that thread. I have found some pictures from the last part of 2013 showing the pilot bearing issues but no more. Seems like he was putting a long Dodge engine in his car. My problem is installing a D24 engine that had a fluid drive into a 40 Plymouth PU. The starter bendix gear binds with the flywheel teeth when installed. Or I need any input and thoughts of options.. Thanks for any help

From what you describe, it appears that you are using a 230 in place of a 208-218; Correct? So, which flywheel are you using?

The problem centers on the crankshaft. The face of the 218 crank flange is 1" (nominal) from the face of the block but, the 230 measures 1.185" so your starter will be likely be hitting the back side of the 218 ring gear.

The bellhousings are all the same so the 218 flywheel has a deeper recess at the center than the 230 so the starter and ring gear are in the same place. 218 needs a 218 flywheel; 230 needs a 230 flywheel.

Edited by QEC

The 230 engine with a 218 flywheel seems to be the problem. The engine is marked D24 that a friend is putting in a 40 Plymouth PU. The flywheel is original to the truck, not to the engine.

Thanks for the info and help