Repurposed 1950 Mopar Heater Contol

vintage6t

I decided to build a proper control panel for my engine run stand. I usually just connect various loose switches, gauges and wiring to the engine. I'm upgrading my stand so time to unclutter the control as well.

The new control panel is made from scavenged parts. I gutted an old broken charge contoller from my RV for the gauge panel case and used existing gauges and switches for that.  All external wiring connections are quick connect via a 7 blade trailer socket and cable.

For the hand throttle I considered a bunch of solutions. Old bike hand brake levers, motorcycle throttles and so on. Nothing seemed satisfactory.

Finally I came across an old heater control in my Mopar parts. Nice chrome housing, temperature slide lever used for the hand throttle and holes in the housing from defrost and heater controls for a choke cable and throttle lock. Perfect! I did have to extend the cable end of the temperature lever to get a long enough pull for full throttle operation but that was just a minor mod.

20240114_142400.jpg

20240114_165208.jpg

• Like 1