Overdrive shifting rough at times

47heaven

Just wanted to ask here if when the overdrive kicks in is it normal for it to sometimes kick in with a clunk that is kind of like when you put a car with auto trans in reverse and kind if jerks when it finally kicks in. This seems to happen when I use the overdrive in either 2nd or 3rd. I usually try reving up to about 50 mph before letting off the gas and then accelerating again. Sometimes it shifts over smoothly with a slight nudge and sometimes it shifts roughly with a clunk that can be felt pretty well. There's even times it doesn't engauge and I have to let off the gas and accelerate again before it will engauge.

Is this a sign that it's going out? Remember...the mechanic didn't rebuild the overdrive...he just cleaned it, the solenoid and the govenor out and reinstalled them. He told me that the trans had no signs that it was bad.

Might be a little wear in the part called the overrunning clutch. Or maybe lubricant. I'd drive it for a while, get used to its quirks, and see if you can live with them. The way I use mine for the most part is,I leave it out of overdrive til I hit the freeway. Once I'm up to 55-60, I push in the handle, let off the gas, and go. If yours shifts good that way, that's about all you really need from an OD, in spite of the other features like clutchless shifting and using only 2nd gear around town.

If this is the typical R10 unit, when it works it should be very smooth. It sounds like a problem with the pawl engagement.

The pawl gets pushed into one of six slots in a large gear. If there is any problem with the pawl raceway or the baulking ring then the thing will not shift correctly.

I am thinking my problem is with the baulking ring. This ring, which stops the pawl from engaging for non-OD use, works by friction. If it does not fall within the BW spec it will not work correct and you will have engagement problems.

James

Lou...I don't know what fluid he put in there.

Norm...I only use the OD around town it there are some long gaps between stops and traffic isn't heavy. Mostly use it on the freeway, though. I know you mention about just getting used to and living with it, but if I'm getting a sign that something's wrong, I'd like to address the problem to the mechanic so that something doesn't happen later on....like the OD going out on the road to Vegas...LOL!

James...let me bring that to the attention of the mechanic and see what he says. Thanks for that.

Take a hard look at the documents in this directory. http://www.dacoglu.com/DesotoCD/ LARGE documents only use if you have a cable or DSL connection not a dial up.

Particularly this one:

http://www.dacoglu.com/DesotoCD/11A_ThreeSpeed%20With%20Overdrive/bwservice.pdf

Best, James

Those are great, James! Thanks!