Carburetor scare during show prep

DonaldSmith

I have the 47 DeSoto with the semi-automatic transmission and the special carb (kickdown switch, and anti-stall dashpot).  I've been prepping the car for the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti this Sunday. 

Earlier in the week,  I removed the top of the carburetor to check for free play of the step-up piston.  (The ethanol can corrode the chamber, stopping the piston movement.)  I flipped the top back, without disconnecting the choke rod and the fast idle cam rod.  Reinstalling the cover might have jammed the fast idle rod against the kickdown switch. 

I installed new spark plugs and fired up the car.  Ran like stink, plugs heavily coated with soot. I think the jammed fast idle rod held the choke plate partially closed.  Tweaked the rod to clear the kickdown switch.  Cleaned up the plugs with brake parts cleaner and reinstalled them. 

Next problem;  Running fast; would not idle.  When I had the top off the carb, I  must have fiddled with the throttle linkage, which raised the dash pot lifter link higher than it can go with the top on.   This flipped the link to the throttle arm, jamming the throttle partway open.   Reinstalled the top with the link in proper position;  problem solved. 

Car running well enough to get me 40 miles to Ypsilanti and back.  I hope. 

I'm a real fumble-fingers, but somehow despite that I haven't been able to screw-up the carb in my Chrysler...yet! Every other time I peeled the top off a carb, it ran worse than when I started. I actually made this one better, despite good attempts at bending something or losing a part. (I'm going to give the credit to Mother Mopar and Father God!)