Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Problem removing gear shift rod on 48 DeSoto to install steering floor pad

MarcDeSoto

I am trying to paint my steering wheel post and gear shift post on my 48.  I am also trying to install a new steering, gear shift pad to got from Bernbaum that goes on the floor where the two posts go through the floor.  I thought I could install it by removing the gear shift lever and steering wheel at the top, but you can't put the new pad over the lever as it sticks out at the top.  So the only way to do it is by removing the shifter linkage at the bottom.  I'm having much trouble removing the nut at the bottom of the gear shaft.  I've tried Blaster penetrating oil several times.  Maybe I need to apply a propane flame.  It looks like the only way to install the new pad is to remove the steering wheel and slide the pad on to the steering post.  Then unfasten the shifter rod at the bottom and push the rod through the smaller hole in the pad.  

link bell 2.jpg

link bell pad.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

• MarcDeSoto changed the title to Problem removing gear shift rod on 48 DeSoto to install steering floor pad

I removed the nut 19-46-37 at the bottom of the gear shift rod, but still can't remove the gear shift rod from the lever.  My goal is to try to install the steering pad that goes on the floor board where the steering wheel and gear shift rod go through the floor.  Has anyone done this before?   I guess if I can't remove the gear shift rod, I will have to cut the floor mounted pad by cutting the pad open where the shift rod is and then putting on the rod.  Then trying to glue the pad back in place.  

I remember when I refurbished my grommet (with tool handle coating) that the grommet didn't want to come off.  See the bracket welded to the column to support the shift rod?  How id they install the grommet a the factory?  With the steering wheel and shift lever off?

1034434570_firewallgrommet(3).JPG.dcce5f399758027486f5eb7e4f8f45dc.JPG

When I modified the steering column for the power steering, the grommet stayed with the column.

1012183878_steeringcolumnassembly(2).JPG.c4a8762efb3b33a265eb19ee38655643.JPG

h

Another problem I'm having with the shift rod is I can't line up the two holes on the bracket 21-30-37 at the top end of the rod with the holes on the steering shaft.  They are about 3/4" off.  I don't know how that could have happened unless I somehow screwed the shift rod down a bit?